Fish Food Bank: A crucial money-saver for residents and college students

July 21, 2015

Ellensburg’s local food bank, Fish, is currently residing in rented space, on account of a fire last year. They are now located within three rooms, with less than 3,500 square feet, behind the Mercer Creek Church. They also rent storage units for food that doesn’t fit in these crowded spaces.

For students, especially those attending full-time, sometimes funds run low because of tuition and fees, textbooks, rent, utility bills, and other necessities. The food bank is a useful resource at such times, as a place where one can get food at no cost, and the process is easy.

Where does the food come from?

Most of the food comes from four main sources, according to the Fish Food Bank program director, Roger McCune.

United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) is the biggest source. The Fish Food Bank receives a donation from them once a month, said McCune.

They also receive a truckful of goods, from Second Harvest Organization, which arrives at the end of each month, said McCune.

The Ellensburg community is another valuable source. Some local grocery stores have bins where shoppers can donate items on their way out, but in-person donations are also welcome.

The Fish Food Bank also sends out volunteers to grocery stores to receive food donations from there, said McCune.

Donations can be written off as tax deductions, and they can be in the form of money, food, or vouchers.

The food is then given out to the people who need it. The Fish Food Bank also serves hot meals every Monday, Wednesday, and Tuesday.

Utilizing the food bank is simple. People in need just have to sign in before receiving food or a hot meal.

A volunteer opportunity for students

The Fish Food Bank offers volunteer opportunities for everybody, including students who need community services hours for school, or simply want to help out.

Volunteering at the food bank provides opportunities to give back to the community and meet new people. This can also provide a means to fill vacant time, or improve social skills.

Volunteering is also good for your health; it is especially beneficial in older adults. Correlations have been found between volunteering and a lower mortality rate, even when considering factors like prior health. Volunteering has also been suggested to lessen symptoms of chronic pain and heart disease.
This resource helps countless many, from students living on a budget, to the homeless, to Ellensburg families and residents, right down to those who donate and the volunteers themselves.