LGBTQIA+ Students and Their Allies Remain Cautiously Optimistic after SCOTUS Decision

Forrest Hollingsworth, Staff Reporter

On Friday, June 26, The Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) made a decision that changed the definition of love, and marriage, legally in the United States forever. Same sex marriage is now the law of the land from coast to coast. However, LGBTQIA+ students and allies on campus remain mindful that while this is a great victory, there is still a lot to be done.

Students Celebrate, Rejoice and, Reflect

“I feel less worried about what the future holds knowing that progress is continually happening and people are becoming more open to accept LGBT issues as human issues rather than political issues,” Michael DeFuria, a straight transgendered man majoring in Music Education said.

DeFuria said that while he doesn’t think the vocal religious right in America, mostly Christian, who oppose the decision aren’t allowed to have their opinions, he does think that the SCOTUS did the right thing in not catering to their interests. He hopes the decision will usher in a sense of safety and, pride on campus.

“Our country is supposed to be founded on the separation of church and state. This is not trying to say that the Christian argument is not valid but rather, that the Supreme Court siding with the Christian side would go against maintaining the separation and instead promote the beliefs of the Christian religion,” DeFuria said. “I think that pride and awareness events have a place anywhere, just as the people supporting those issues have a place anywhere.”

David Hershfeldt, a gay senior music performance major, echoed DeFuria’s opinions and celebrations but hopes that this decision is just the beginning of conversations on campus about LGBTQIA+ rights.

“I think our campus does an okay job at being LGBTQIA+ friendly but I’m hoping this will further open the discussion of rights and acceptance of every student regardless of sexual orientation or gender expression,” Hershfeldt said.

Katrina Whitney and Veronica Gomez-Vilchis, diversity officers for Central’s Center for Diversity and Social Justice (CDSJ) and allies of the gay rights movement themselves, agree with Hershfeldt, saying that this decision is just the tip of the iceberg even on a campus that is relatively accepting.

More to Do

“We have a very supportive community. That doesn’t mean we’re a utopia by any means. It has created the opportunity to have a deeper discussion,” Whitney said.

The Center, which aims to service the campus community in regards to training in cultural awareness and social justice issues, employs officers like Whitney and Gomez-Vilchis to remain vigilant on campus despite Central being in the top 50 universities for LGBTQIA+ support according to Campus Pride, an organization that measures how accepting a university’s policies and procedures are.

“Assessment like that is crucial. Accountability is the key part in having respectful conversations,” Whitney said about the Campus Pride’s index which gave CWU a 96 percent out of 100 percent.

Part of that vigilance means that Whitney and Gomez-Vilchis reach out to departments on campus and provide a 5-hour “Safe Space” training course which Central’s faculty, staff and students can attend in order to better understand how to support and accept students of all types, genders and orientations on campus.

“We still have to educate to not discriminate, to not hate,” Gomez-Vilchis said. “There’s no one way that’s going to start the conversation,” Whitney said in support.

Currently, almost 30 buildings on campus have at least one staff or faculty member who has received their training and “Safe Space placard,” meaning that they are adequately trained in providing support, help and counseling to students of all types who are seeking help.

While Whitney and Gomez-Vilchis are happy with their successes, they say there’s more to do in making sure LGBTQIA+ students and staff on campus are as comfortable as they can be.

“It takes time to catch up with the policy. All of these institutions are going to have to change. This is just the beginning. You don’t have to agree with it but, you can be respectful, nice. You can say ‘I don’t understand but I respect it’,” Gomez-Vilchis said.