Ayron Jones and The Way performed live in Central’s Student Union building

Alexandra Proctor, Staff Reporter

image2
Photo by Jonathan Glover

A little bit of Jimi Hendrix, a little bit of rock and a little bit of blues is what Ayron Jones and The Way is all about. The three-piece group delivered a soulful performance in Central’s SURC Pit on Friday, April 24.

Ayron Jones is the singer and guitarist, DeAndre Enrico is on bass, and recently added Kai Van De Pitte is on drums.

Founded in 2010 by guitarist and front man Ayron Jones, these Seattle natives started playing at local venues and making appearances at Seattle radio stations. Eventually, the group grabbed the attention of Sir Mix-a-Lot, or Sir.

Sir Mix-a-Lot approached Ayron Jones and The Way after watching them perform and offered to produce their album. The result was their 2013 hit album, “Dream,” which put their name on the music map.

“Sir is a huge mentor to me, just kinda artist wise, and kinda handling what it is to be an artist and be successful,” Jones said. “He was a really great influence.”

“Ayron’s energy and talent was something that I haven’t seen come out of Seattle in a long time and it was an absolute treat to be a part of it,” said John, writer at Back Beat Seattle.

John was an attendee of Jones’ album debut concert with Sir Mix-a-Lot.

Following their debut album’s success, Ayron Jones and The Way performed at music festivals including Bumbershoot, Mt. Baker Rhythm and Blues Festival and Summer Meltdown.

In 2014, they opened for B.B. King at the Moore Theatre in Seattle. Ayron Jones and the Way have also opened for bands such as The Presidents of The United States of America and Train. They are even going to be opening for Slipknot this year, a huge genre jump from Train or B.B. King.

Their performance at Central has been anticipated for a long time. Between their busy tour schedule and the many events held at Central, the timing hasn’t been right until now. Scott Drummond, director of Campus Activities, was thrilled to have them on campus and gave the band a standing ovation.

“They kind of list as a blues band, you know? But they’re kind of a good old, straight up power trio,” Drummond said. “It’s blues and rock n’ roll. Both covers and originals.”

Their performance was upbeat and exciting, performing originals and Jimi Hendrix covers. Even Georgia on My Mind was played, slowing the audience down a bit.

When Jones started with the popular guitar intro of Voodoo Child by Hendrix, the crowd went wild. During his guitar solo, he not only played one handed, but then grabbed a drumstick from the drummer and used it as a guitar pick.

“You’re playing for other people, and you have to know what language they speak in order to really get your point across,” Jones said.

His performance definitely got across to people when he played his final guitar solo and ended the show with pulling the strings off of his guitar. He got on his knees, laid his guitar down on the ottoman in front of a couch and began to pull his high E string off of his guitar. One by one, strings were everywhere, and the audience was on their feet cheering.

Though the crowd only got a small taste of their “Seattle soul sounds,” as Jones described it, they definitely have found a new group of fans at Central.