RCM generates new minors

Matt Escamilla, Staff Reporter

The Responsibility Centered Management budget model rewards departments for generating new minors which attract new students into their departments.

This in turn generates revenue based on the amount of students they have in their programs.

Additionally, with the workforce being as competitive as ever, it can be important for students to take full advantage of their time at Central.

Jeffrey Stinson, marketing department chair, said that this goes not only for students at Central, but for students all over the country.

Stinson said that it’s not about what the business can do for the job seeker, but what the job seeker can do for the business.

Central is responding to a changing global economy by adding new minors to help students diversify their resumes, which in turn may make future graduates more appealing to employers.

It’s almost an expectation to enhance a graduate’s chances of landing a dream job or career.

Ryan_barge2
Ryan Ashley/Observer

Students today often choose to get a minor, study abroad or complete an internship.

The most important thing a student can do is both complete their program and find a major or minor that’s not only interesting, but also marketable.

During the trial and error process, students sometimes realize they want to change majors, but don’t want to throw away the credits earned.

“That’s what minors are for. It also allows the faculty senate a chance to test the minor demand, which if high enough could turn into a full time degree,” Janet Shields, faculty senate secretary, said.

Students may not initially be sure which minor they want to pursue.

“Students feel pressure to pick the perfect degree and minor for [a] career,” Jesse Nelson, associate dean of student achievement, said.

Students should seek an adviser and discuss potential minors or certificates to go along with a degree of choice. This is a good way to help safeguard against late graduation.

Central decides what minors will be offered through consensus and faculty senate votes.

“[The] faculty senate puts potential minors and certificates though a quality vetting process,” Nelson said.