Valentine’s Day: Romantic ideas and hangout spots

Nicolas Oliver, Staff Reporter

Love is in the air as men and women rush to the nearest store to spend their paychecks on flowers, chocolate and even those cheesy boxers or “man-thongs,” with hearts and lips on them.

However, gifts can only get you so far in the world of love. Whether you’re trying to impress that special person in your life or you’re just going out with a group of close friends, a night out on the town could be just what it takes to show them how much you appreciate them.

There are quite a few romantic and entertaining activities to do in Ellensburg for Valentine’s Day.

For those of you trying to woo the partner of your dreams, you may want to check out The Palace Café and Yellow Church Café.

The intimate Yellow Church Café on South Pearl Street is offering a special V-Day meal: fillet mignon served with crab legs.

If you’ve got a sweet tooth, don’t worry; red velvet cake with whipped cream and seasonal berries, as well as chocolate mousse, will be available.

The Palace Café on Main Street pulls out all the stops when it comes to celebrating V-Day. They are offering a prawn salad, prime rib served with battered prawns and chicken marsala.

For dessert, tie it all together with a homemade Snickers cheesecake.

The Palace will be putting candles on the table, dimming the lights and setting the scene for a night full of picturesque V-Day moments.

If you’re looking for dinner and a show, The Dakota Café on North Pearl Street will be offering a bacon wrapped scampi, a slow roasted prime rib, and lobster mac and cheese. But wait, that’s not all. A violin trio will also be performing while you dine on delicious food. Just be sure to make reservations.

If you are proactive and call ahead of time to make reservations, The Roadhouse Grill on Umptanum Road will be serving a steak gorgonzola and prime rib. They will also be having a wine special.

If you are feeling lonely, or if you just want to go somewhere and hang out with friends, then you may want to go to the Un-Valentine’s Day Show with “Dating Doctor” David Coleman on Friday, Feb.13.

Campus Activities and 88.1 The ‘Burg are inviting Central students to the SURC ballroom for a night that includes a variety of free activities starting at 8 p.m.

The night will include a “destruction zone” for destroying gifts or reminders from ex-partners and “Anti-Valentine’s Bingo.” The main event at 9 p.m., a lecture on love and relationships from “dating doctor” Coleman.

If that’s not your cup of tea, then you can get a group of friends and go to the Central theatre department’s presentation of Radio Dramas: “Candy Matson P.I.,” “The Cable Car Murder,” “Richard Diamond,” “Private Detective” and “The Gibson Murder Case.”

So for all those students trying to impress that special someone but find themselves ‘ballin on a budget,’ and for all of the students just looking for somewhere to go with friends, Ellensburg’s got your back.