RHA brings “Be a Master” event back to Central

Maria Harr, Scene Editor

Students will have a second chance to catch ‘em all with the return of the Pokémon based “Be a Master!” game on Feb. 8.

This year, the Residence Hall Association (RHA) has added fairy type Pokémon, two extra gyms and about 50 new Pokémon to their day-long event.

“We’re trying to make it a little more comprehensive and enjoyable,” said Chloe Hildeman, senior public relations major and president of the RHA.

The game was well-received when they did it last year.

“The feedback last year was phenomenal,” Hildeman said. “There was nothing that was completely negative.”

Hildeman and the rest of the team behind Be a Master! have implemented much of the feedback they received after last year’s event.

“The biggest issue we saw and were told about was that the Gym’s were overcrowded,” Hildeman said.

This year they’ve opened two more Gyms to help with the crowding. Each Gym will also feature an extra “tall grass” area to keep players engaged while they wait for Gym Leaders to be available.

Hildeman said she’s also encouraged those running the Gyms to have something entertaining going on in the background.

The game is a pen and paper version of the Pokémon video games and follows the same pattern as the games and TV show.

“Basically, it’s the Pokémon experience brought to life,” Hildeman said.

First, participants go to the “Poké Lab,” located in the Wellington Events Center, to meet “Professor Hemlock,” who explains the rules and gives them their starter Pokémon.

After that, the newfound Pokémon trainers can choose between the 10 available Pokémon Gyms spread out on campus. Though, as of today, one of the Gyms planned for the event has been cut. In Gyms, players will have the opportunity to search in “tall grass” for new Pokémon to catch and also battle Gym Leaders for badges.

With eight out of 10 badges, trainers can then move on to the Elite Four, high-powered Pokémon trainers. After beating all four, they have a shot at the Champion.

This year, Tyler Van Sickle, senior business leadership and psychology major and president of the National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH), will play the Champion.

Last year, Van Sickle was part of the Elite Four with fighting type Pokémon, but now will use steel type.

“It’s going to be bigger and better,” Van Sickle said.

If they win the battle against the Champion, trainers get the sweet satisfaction of calling themselves a Pokémon Master.