From grapes to glass: Ellensburg WineWorks

Morgan Green, Staff Reporter

The Pacific Northwest has always been an area that has enjoyed unique and flavorful wine and beer; the Ellensburg community is no different.

Ellensburg local Gordon Wollen first opened Ellensburg WineWorks in 2006, where it began as a bottle shop to cater to the wine community in the area.

“Gordon always wanted a wine shop,” Manager Laura Bainter said.

Bainter, a Central alumna, graduated from the wine certification program.  Her passion for wine developed through her schooling and from former wine program professor Amy Mumma, whose knowledge of wine inspired her.

Ellensburg WineWorks used to be located on the bottom floor of the Ellensburg Guest House. After becoming successful, Wollen decided to expand and moved to 4th Avenue in 2012.  The expansion allowed them to become a wine bar instead of just a bottle shop.

Bainter said that they really work on trying to create a relaxing place that people can come to and enjoy wine regardless of their experience.  She is always striving to create an inviting and comfortable atmosphere free of judgment at the shop.

RED OR WHITE? - WineWorks has a variety of wine and beer available at their bar.
Alyssa Darby
RED OR WHITE? – WineWorks has a variety of wine and beer available at their bar.

“People can come in and enjoy wine and beer without that intimidating fear,” Bainter said.

Every month, Bainter invites wineries and breweries from all over the state to hold tastings and just meet with customers.  Bainter’s goal is to host two wine makers and two brewers per month. WineWorkss hosts about 30 events per year.

In the future, Bainter hopes to have a beginners’ wine course for people who want to enjoy wine but do not know where to start.

In the past, WineWorks has participated in many Ellensburg downtown events such as Ladies Night, First Friday Art Walk, and Jazz in the Valley.

“What is fun about [WineWorks] is that we are always offering something different for our customers,” Bainter said.

WineWorks also offers five rotating beers on tap and a large selection of domestic and imported beers by the bottle.  “I don’t think that a lot of people realize that we also have beer,” Bainter said.

Steve Wagner, director of the brewing program and craft beer program at Central, is an avid fan of the diverse selection of beer found at WineWorks.  His current favorite is the Bale Breaker and Elysian Fresh Hop collaboration beer.

“It is a journey through a fresh hop field. You better hurry, it is only available at this time of year,” Wagner said.

Of their “poured by the glass” wine selection, customers can choose from wine made in Spain, Italy and France as well as a variety of Northwest wines. Their bottle selection is even more diverse including bottles from Australia and South America.

Aubrey Abbott, Central alumna, says that she really enjoys the atmosphere that WineWorks creates.

Customers can find more than just beverages at the store. They can also enjoy gourmet meats, cheeses, chocolates and appetizers.

Currently, WineWork’s menu features five new appetizers, priced at $5 a piece. Options include a mac and cheese plate and a pulled pork option.