New Chilean restaurant shakes up Main Street

Morgan Green, Staff Reporter

The restaurant competition in Ellensburg has a new contender, Earthquake Empanadas. After finding success in their Ellensburg food truck, Miguel and Devra Hermosilla are opening a new restaurant location to bring the flavor and excitement of Chilean food to more people.

Located on Main Street, students can find lunch and dinner specials perfect for the college budget.
“[Miguel] always wanted a kitchen,” Devra Hermosilla said.

BAKED OR FRIED? - An empanada is a bread pocket filled with meat and cheese.
Derrick Clarit
BAKED OR FRIED? – An empanada is a bread pocket filled with meat and cheese.

The husband and wife duo met over 20 years ago in Miguel Hermosilla’s home country of Chile, the westernmost country in South America.
There was never any doubt for the couple on what they would serve.
“It was Chilean or nothing,” Miguel Hermosilla said. “We always had the idea of empanadas.”
Chilean cuisine has a different flavor than other South American countries.
“It’s more American than you think,” Devra Hermosilla said.

Devra Hermosilla describes their dishes as simple but with a lot of hearty flavor, similar to a country style of food. Students can expect dishes with more meat and potatoes than the usual Hispanic refried beans and cheese.

An empanada is a traditional Chilean dish where different meats, cheeses and various flavors are folded into a bread pocket then either baked or fried.

Customers can try the traditional Chilean empanada dish that has steak, onions, olives, raisins and egg wrapped up in a bread shell.

“We will always have options for the non-adventurous,” Devra Hermosilla said.

Derrick Clarit

Different types of empanadas on the menu are a breakfast version, pear and bacon and chicken pot-pie. The menu also has sandwiches, soups and salads available.

Prices at the restaurant range from $4 for an empanada to lunch and dinner specials available for under $10.

“We want to stand out by offering a unique food and a good value,” Miguel Hermosilla said.
Vintage travel posters of ski resorts in the Andes Mountains and other Chilean highlights cover the restaurant’s walls.

“We wanted the new location to highlight that Chile is a hip and trendy country,” Devra Hermosilla said, “and for customers to get an idea of what Chile looks and feels like.”
Both Devra and Miguel Hermosilla are excited to open the new location because it will give customers a place where they can come and be comfortable on the bar style seating.
In the spring and summer, customers will also be able to enjoy the weather on the back patio.

Earthquake Empanadas first made their name in Ellensburg two years ago with their bright yellow food truck, normally found on 5th Avenue.
Their truck created a strong following of customers who enjoyed the Latin American flavors.

According to the Hermosillas, their popularity grew and they were able to open the new location.

“I am very proud of [Miguel],” Devra Hermosilla said.

Derrick_Empanada_1-RESIZEDerrick Clarit

Miguel and Devra Hermosilla named their restaurant Earthquake Empanadas because Chile is a country that sits along the Ring of Fire in the Pacific Ocean. As a result, the country has over 300 earthquakes annually.

Those who loved the food truck do not have to fear. The food truck will still be seen at various events during the year.

“Empanadas are a food that connects us,” said Miguel Hermosilla.”
The couple really feels connected to the Ellensburg community through their food.

“Chileans put a lot of love into their foods,” Miguel Hermosilla said.