Logo art show featured at Sarah Spurgeon Gallery

Nicole Huson, Staff Reporter

Dozens of tiny logos by famous artists have taken over the walls of the Sarah Spurgeon Gallery. Until the end of October, the gallery, located on Central’s campus, will be hosting The Logo Show. The exhibit showcases the small but incredible artwork and the unique stories behind each artists’ success.

“A logo communicates so much in something that’s so small and so simple. It’s made to look so easy, but it’s really so difficult to do,” David Bieloh, curator of the exhibit and Central’s assistant graphic design professor, said.

The Logo Show features professional logos from six nationally recognized artists: Rolando Murillo, Tom Nynas, Brian Owens, Virgil Scott, Matt Staab and Simon Walker.

Bieloh and The Art Gallery Director Heather Horn Johnson saw this as a unique opportunity for graphic design students to see famous logo art in a gallery setting and hear personally from the famous artists.

“I thought it would be impressive to show students a whole gallery of tiny logos that communicate so much,” Bieloh said.

San-Antonio based artist and designer Rolando Murillo explained how hard designing logos can be.

“A logo design has to communicate simply and quickly; it has to be simple, yet beautiful,” Murillo said. “You want them to love it so much that they want to wear it. They want to tattoo it on their body; that’s your goal.”

Murillo has been in the professional design and logo industry for over 15 years and has been recognized with over 170 awards and honors from leading advertising organizations. He explains that the hardest part of being in the logo industry is the oversaturation of designers out there who give out ideas for free.

“It’s difficult to try to sell clients on the value of design when so much is being given out for free,” Murillo said. “There’s too many designers.”

Murillo’s work has been featured in Communication Arts Magazine, Graphis, Print Magazine, HOW Magazine and Harper Publishing. Murillo has earned himself the nickname “The Logo Guy” since he has created over 400 logo designs.

Designer Tom Nynas also thinks that the logo business can be hard.

“You have to work harder and smarter than everyone else,” Nynas said.

Nynas agrees that it is hard to get paid when there is so much competition.

“That first step into the real world is tough, and you better be prepared for it. There are a million other people competing for the same jobs,” Nynas said.

Although it may take some time to start getting paid, Nynas advises students to follow their dreams.

“Go for the place that will teach you the most and allow you to create your best work,” Nynas said. “The paycheck will come if you follow that path of creating your best work.”

Dallas based designer, Virgil Scott, knew he wanted to go into graphic design at a young age.

“I was inspired by a high school art teacher to go to school for art, and then in college I tried design, and it just clicked,” Scott said.

Scott has been in the design and logo industry for 30 years and has won awards from the Dallas Society of Visual Communications, Print Magazine and Communication Arts Magazine.

Scott has developed a thick skin from being in the graphic design industry for so many years.

“Putting yourself out there and getting rejected is hard,” Scott said, “But it’s important to remember to not take criticism personally.”

Scott formed his own design company, Scott Design, in 1990 and now teaches visual communication as an assistant professor at Texas A&M University-Commerce.      The Logo Show will be displayed in the Sarah Spurgeon Gallery until the end of the month.

Nynas advises students who want to make it in the field of logo design and artwork to study hard and stay dedicated.

“Study, study, study,” Nynas said. “Dive in 100% and become a disciple of design.”