Opinion: Crazy in love… not so much

colin

BY Collin Dysart

Assistant Scene Editor

And just like that it all came crashing down. I’m not entirely sure when, but at some point Beyonce Knowles stopped being a pop star and became an invincible creature; a gift bestowed upon us mere mortals.

That is until the morning of May 12. What was celebrity journalism before the existence of TMZ? As repugnant as this subgenre of journalism is, there is a definite vicarious thrill in vast hordes of sell outs rushing to try and be the first to report on pretty, overvalued wealthy people doing nasty, naughty things.

And who is more enticing to catch in the wrong than the king and queen of hip-hop Jay-Z and Beyonce.

I mean, somewhere in time, they stopped being really successful and really rich and morphed into a monstrosity incapable of anything beyond the pale.

I always chuckle when people are in awe of Beyonce’s accomplishes. Well, we could all pontentially be that glossy with buckets of money, unlimited time, and never worrying about taking the garbage out.

All of sudden Beyonce was #flawless and musically somewhere next to Beethoven and David Bowe. But the higher the rise the harder their fall.

The Met Gala is an event where A-listers and wannabes get together to pose on a red carpet and soak in each other’s shininess. But all was not apparently well in paradise.

TMZ proudly threw down the gauntlet on May 12 with grainy elevator security footage, taken from the Stanford, of Beyonce’s sister Solange attempting to assault her brother in law. Beyonce remained stationary during her sister’s outburst.

There is a strange disconnect between how we treat celebrities in America and their behavior. If you treat someone like a god, do you not expect them to act like a god?

I’ve listened to numerous people explain why Beyonce is such a rarefied creature: She is a devoted wife AND mother AND pop star AND a master at instagram filters.

The only thing I will concede to her domination is as a member of Destiny’s Child, that is legit.

What is striking about this incident is the crack in Beyonce’s carefully crafted façade and how we will never really know what happened.

The only thing for certain is there is going-ons in the Knowles family, which aren’t happily accentuated by filters.

But what I find most disturbing is how the finger was strongly pointed at Solange, rather than her sister and husband.

The internet blew up with lazy word play on Jay-Z’s hit song “99 Problems.” As in Solange was Jay-Z’s problem.

They failed to ask the prudent question: what provoked her in the first place?

But I believe people don’t really want  the truth. It’s easier to make funny gags and puns than face the reality of a very disturbing scene of domestic violence.

In the fairy tale world of celebrities, Solange is the jealous little sister who did not get to be queen.

It makes celebrity glorification all the more satisfying. We can build them up and when they fail, as they always do, we can experience a nice surge of superiority.

Beyonce sells when she drops an album and also sells when she gets caught acting like a flawed human being, and not the goddess of music videos and world tours.So congratulations to Beyonce and company, welcome to the ranks of mortals.