Movie Review: The Railway Man

colinrian man

BY Collin Dysart

Assistant Scene Editor

World War II,  the defining event of the 20th century, has inspired countless films. “The Railway Man” sets itself apart from its contemporaries by plunging into what comes after the war ends, and the indelible impression it makes upon those who have lived through and survived it.  Inspired by the true story of Eric Lomax a British soldier taken prisoner by the Japanese and forced to help construct the infamous Burma Railway also known  as the “Death Railway.”

The film’s story starts in 1980. Lomax (Colin Firth) is an eccentric middle aged bachelor with a vast knowledge of railroads. In the midst of his routine commute he encounters  mysterious and attractive Patti (Nicole Kidman). Patti’s warmth and genuine interest in her travel companion coaxes Eric out of his shell and reveals an inner warmth. The film’s first 20 minutes are devoted to a gentle romance of two adrift souls, who are filling a void for too long left empty.

But there is much more to Eric than Patti can comprehend. Their fairy tale coupling abruptly halts when Lomax becomes plagued with night terrors and unpredictable shifts in behavior. He is suffering from what would later be termed, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Patti, determined to uncover the root of her husband’s suffering, seeks out his former war comrade, Finley (Stellan Skarsgard) for answers.

The film shifts back and forth between 1980 and 1942.  It depicts young Eric (Jeremy Irvine) as he and his comrades are forced to surrender to the Japanese and into a labor camp. The POW’s are subject to torture, starvation, and disease as they construct the 258 mile railway, stretching from Thailand to Burma.

Lomax, through Finley, discovers his torturer is still alive and sets off to Thailand to get revenge.  When he finally faces him, Lomax is forced to make a life changing decision between vengeance and redemption.

“The Railway Man’s” strongest component is its accomplished cast. Eric Lomax is perfectly aligned with Colin Firth’s greatest strengths as an actor.  He is rough around the edges, but his inner strength and dignity shine through consistently. Jeremy Irvine is perfectly cast as the young Lomax; he fully embodies the mannerisms and speech patterns to the letter. Nicole Kidman seems to finally have embraced her age and it suits her well. She never wastes her small screen time by reducing her performance to the stereotypical hysterical wife. Firth and Kidman share excellent chemistry,  and  good thing, as they have two more films coming out this year together.

However, the film’s earnest intentions do not always give this powerful story its due. The film often clumsily transitions between Eric and Patti’s romance and Eric’s experiences as a POW. One may wonder if Lomax’s story would have been better suited to a television miniseries, where each component could be fleshed out fully. The most disappointing aspect is Lomax’s showdown with his torturer Takashi Nagase (Hiroyuki Sanada). The scene is riddled with clichéd dialogue and lacks dramatic tension, merely coasting on good intentions.

The film’s saving grace is strong acting and an undeniably powerful true story. Perhaps in the hands of more adept filmmakers this story could have stood toe to toe with masterfully adapted “12 Years a Slave”? Sometimes all the ingredients are there, and for various reasons do not make the intended impression. At any rate, the film is still worth a look as a tribute to its admirable main character.

colin rian man