Opinion: Central Confessions Facebook page is back!

chloe headshotBY Chloe Hildeman

Copy Editor

After nearly five months of inactivity, Central Washington Confessions has made a comeback.

For unexplained reasons, the original confessions Facebook page was shut down on April 5. The new page, aptly titled “Central Washington Confessions – New” was created in a matter of hours afterwards, and quickly gained attention.

While the new confessions page has managed to accumulate several hundred “likes” over the span of just a few days, it’s resurgence has raised a few questions: How long is the new page going to last? Why do people care so much that it’s back? More importantly, why do I care that it’s back?

Don’t I have something better to be doing than scrolling down a page of other people’s alcohol-fueled potential felonies and fruitless professions of love?

I’m not denying the page’s appeal. There’s a voyeuristic quality about getting glimpses into the personal lives of complete strangers (or acquaintances…or friends). It’s also liberating having an outlet to anonymously confess to our secrets.

But I think there’s something that’s just a little twisted about creating a public forum for things we would normally be embarrassed to have other people find out about.

The confessions trend is similar to that of reality TV. Both are high in shock value, low in substance and oftentimes the subject matter contains something unsettling involving one or more body fluid. And while this is entertaining for a while, eventually it just feels like you’re wasting your time.

It’s not even like the confessions are interesting. A chunk of the posts are just people declaring the fact that they think [insert name] from [insert place] is attractive/cool/funny. And that’s cute or whatever, but seriously, what’s stopping you from telling them this IRL?

Maybe I’m pretentious or cynical, but there has to be a better way to let someone know you’re desperately in love with them (or just want to get down with them, no judgment).

Another major criticism I have about the page is the fact that there’s no way of knowing whether the posts are even real or not.

Due to the anonymous nature of the page, anyone could make up whatever crazy story they wanted, and chances are people would believe it. And I think this is potentially dangerous.

If someone really wanted revenge on another person, they could theoretically post any wild claim about them and let the rumor mill take care of the rest.

It’s worth noting that the original Confessions page didn’t have any new posts for about five months before it shut down. Even with the hype of the new page, the confessions don’t seem to be filtering in as quickly as they used to.

Maybe it’s a sign that its time we let the trend die out, and that some things really are better left unsaid.

I don’t know how long the lifespan of the new page will be, but I doubt I’ll stick around for it. Just let me scroll through the new confessions one last time.