Volleyball goes head to head with the Seawolves

3,888 attendee at UAA vs CWU. Photo courtesy of Skip Hickey

Devin Guerra-Burnett, Staff Reporter

Volleyball faced University of Anchorage Alaska (UAA) on Nov. 5.  UAA is ranked number six in the conference. CWU lost to UAA 3-0  but remains in the number three spot in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference.

The Wildcats are 16-10 this season and are now looking forward as they head into the GNAC tournament.

The ladies traveled to the Seawolves home in Anchorage, Alaska where they were surrounded by a NCAA DII record breaking crowd of 3,888 people..

Tia Andaya, Ashley Kaufman, and Emma Daoud-Herbert led the team throughout the game. Andaya was able to get a team high of 19 assists, nine digs and 10 kills but fell one dig short of a triple double.

Kaufman, a junior and outside hitter, led the team with 12 kills and one block.

Emma Daoud-Herbert will the kill Photo by Jacob Thompson / Thompson Sports Photos (Jacob Thompson)

Daoud-Herbert, a sophomore and middle blocker, had a team leading blocks of seven  and 12 points offensively.

Kaufman had five kills and Marianna Payne had four. Wrapping up the first set, the Wildcats had two blocks, 15 kills. Seawolves right behind them ending with 14 kills, three aces, and four blocks. 

CWU came close during the second set, battling the Seawolves with a 28-26 score. According to CWU sports the teams were neck in neck of each other. Going into the third set, the Wildcats did not give up. UAA took the lead with three straight points, resulting in a 25-22 final set.

The CWU volleyball team finishes being ranked 6 in the west regional division. The GNAC tournament is next up and if the Wildcats are ranked above 8 they will make it to the tournament.