Sports archive: Central baseball looks to climb GNAC standings

Senior infielder Scott Stone swings at a pitch last weekend against Western Oregon. Stone is second on the team with four home runs and 14 RBIs.  Photo by Nick Terrel
Senior infielder Scott Stone swings at a pitch last weekend against Western Oregon. Stone is second on the team with four home runs and 14 RBIs.
Photo by Nick Terrel

BY Cameron Daniels

Assistant Sports Editor

Print date: April 10, 2014

The Central Washington Wildcat baseball team is looking to stay hot in a four-game series this weekend as they travel to face conference foe Northwest Nazarene.

The Wildcats (18-13, 11-9 Great Northwest Athletic Conference), winners of eight out of their last 10 games, go into the series hoping to continue to climb the conference standings and catch up to Western Oregon.

The Northwest Nazarene Crusaders (14-17, 10-8 GNAC) are coming off a series win against last place Saint Martin’s University.

They could take hold of the second spot in the conference standings if they are victorious in the series against Central.

Central was last week’s GNAC Team of the Week after taking three out of four games from the first-place Western Oregon Wolves.

While the Wildcats took home the team honors, Northwest Nazarene’s first baseman Anthony Flatt was the GNAC Player of the Week.

Central Washington has beaten the Crusaders eight out of the last 12 times the teams have played.  Earlier this season the two teams split a four-game series in Ellensburg.

Aside from this series, the Wildcats play the two bottom teams in the conference to close out the season.

With a little help from teams playing against Western Oregon and the Wildcats taking care of business, the top of the standings could get very tight as the season ends.

This series will make or break both teams’ chances of dethroning perennial powerhouse Western Oregon as the conference champions.