Letter to the Editor

Photo courtesy of David Hartless

David Hartless, Student Trustee

Dear Central Washington Wildcats,

My name is David Hartless, and I am your student Trustee for the 2022-2023 school year. On October 20th and 21st, we held out first Board of Trustees meeting in the Wellington Event Center. During this meeting, many things were discussed, all of which are vital to the well-being of our university and, more importantly, the thing that makes this university run: we, the students. 

During our lunch, The Board had the honor of sitting with students for an opportunity to hear from them about their experience at Central and their concerns.  While many concerns came up, there was an underlying theme on several topics: Food insecurity, financial well-being for students and the Multi-Cultural Center. 

Allow me to make this point. The Board heard all of your concerns and agrees that each of these issues is essential, and they did not fall on deaf ears. 

College is difficult enough; we students should not have to overcome these obstacles as we learn a new way to navigate life. People should not have to worry about where their next meal is coming from or if they will have enough money to last them the rest of the quarter after paying for their room and board. There is no easy solution to this situation. I have reached out to people involved with the PUSH pantry and our Legislative Liaison to explore what options there are to address this food insecurity affecting so many people. 

The topic that came up over and over is the Multi-Cultural Center. The entire board agrees that we need one on our campus. The Board discussed what the University could do with the existing spaces on campus until the MCC is built. While no plan was finalized on any of these issues, the topics were discussed at great length with the importance of figuring out a way to create a space for the MCC. 

Far as the issue of food insecurity, I will be having meetings with people around campus to formulate a plan to see what could be done to help combat the problem. 

Furthermore, if you ever see me on campus and you feel there is an issue you want to bring up with me, please do not hesitate to do so. I am here to serve not only the University but my colleagues as well who make this campus what it is as well. 

David Hartless

Student Trustee