How student employees find their work life balance

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Andrew Ulstad, Staff Reporter

“Work-life balance is essential to doing both well,” Mason Saulsbury, a junior in film who works at the Diversity and Equity Center(DEC), said. “If you aren’t treating yourself right in one, the other suffers and you end up spiraling into a bad feedback loop.” 

CWU student employees said they use a variety of tools when dealing with stress. Student employees around campus shared tips revealing how they stay on top of things.

Junior liberal studies major and employee at the Recreation Center, Angel Rivera, said self-care holds significant importance.

“It does get overwhelming, and it can seem like a lot at first, but … you’re going to find your routine,” Rivera said. “Don’t feel guilty about putting yourself first. Do what works best for you.”

Rivera said it’s also important to be aware of how long each task will take. 

“If you have great time management skills then you’re already a step ahead of everybody,” Rivera said.

Junior history major and dining services employee Grace Cirillo said she agrees with the idea of putting students’ own needs ahead of work. She said she believes that for students with jobs, especially when working on campus, the employer wants students to succeed.

According to Cirillo, part of that success comes from making sure to schedule time for nothing. 

“Sometimes it can get overwhelming, but when you take that amount of free time, even if it’s not a lot, it definitely helps you calm down and destress,” Cirillo said. 

Student employees said that making sure to schedule breaks into the day was not every employee’s preferred way to create free time. 

Saulsbury said she likes to create two distinct chunks out of her schedule. 

The first big chunk is for school and work, leaving most of her nights free for art, playing games, hanging out with roommates and cooking.

Saulsbury said she has found being passionate about her daily work helps to take the sting out of going to work. 

“Working at a place where you are confident in … the role you do and it’s work that you believe in makes a huge difference, because then you’re not coming into work with the mindset of ‘I just need to get through it,’” Saulsbury said.