Rocket League primes the esports season

Kimberly LaRiviere

Esports event happening on Campus.

Kimberly LaRiviere, Staff Reporter

The first esports event of the quarter, a Rocket League event, was held in the SURC Theater Sep. 30. 

Esports are a recent addition to intramural sports activities and a way to promote community, according to Samantha Wary, coordinator of Intramural Sports. 

“By providing bigger entertainment and bigger experiences in the SURC Theater, we’re hoping that it helps build bigger social connections,” Wary said. “Instead of just knowing people you know by their gamer-tag, they are actually meeting people face-to-face and hoping to grow friendships and social connections.”

Wary points out that intramural esports have grown into an esports club team, with different games being offered within the club team

“They are actually competing starting this quarter against other schools in national tournaments,” Wary said.

Johnny Felty, intramural esports lead, comments that esports have changed the gaming community.

“A lot of people consider gaming a hobby, and then that hobby turns into a passion because it ignites their competitive spirit and it feels like a regular sport to me,” Felty said. “We do have a lot of more things happening this year and with different games being played each quarter, there is going to be something for everyone.”

The next esports events happening on campus will be for Mario Kart on Oct. 21, Call of Duty Nov. 4, and the Smash Bros. Tournament will be on Nov. 18 in the SURC. To keep up-to-date-esporting events, CWU Recreation has a discord for students.