Q&A with Dr. Sathyanarayanan Rajendran

Courtesy of Dr. Rajendran

Crystal Clausen, Online Editor

Sathyanarayanan “Sathy” Rajendran has been named the new dean of Central Washington University’s College of Education and Professional Studies (CEPS). Rajendran has a BS, MS, and PhD in civil engineering, and joined the CWU faculty in 2011 as a professor of Safety and Health Management. He was previously the department chair and a professor in Engineering Technologies, Safety and Construction (ETSC) before being named the new dean of CEPS.

What made you want to become a professor in Engineering Technologies, Safety and Construction at CWU?

I was born in Chennai, a cosmopolitan city in South India, and grew up in a neighborhood known for its socio-economic diversity. I graduated with my Bachelor’s in Civil Engineering. During my undergraduate years I had an opportunity to teach a course, and my friends brought up the idea of being a teacher and I would be great at it. Along with the initial spark, I cannot think of a better career than higher education to make other people’s lives better. As a 20-year-old, less than a year after 9/11, I moved to the United States to pursue my graduate studies at Oregon State University. Despite facing financial hardships and personal adversities, I finished my M.S. and Ph.D. in Civil Engineering in four years. I strongly believe in hands-on experience to teach effectively in a professional program. Hence, I paused my pursuit of an academic career and entered the corporate sector, working for a billion-dollar construction firm for five years in different capacities. While I made a significant impact in many workers’ lives through my professional work, my calling was higher education. Having gained valuable professional experience, I joined CWU in 2011 as an Assistant Professor and Coordinator of the Safety and Health Management Program.

Why did you decide to interview for the dean of CEPS position?

While I am satisfied and challenged by my current appointments at CWU and the impact I make in student success through my leadership, the opportunities associated with this Dean position, and the broader impact I can make on CWU’s constituents, inspired me to apply. I am currently a full professor and in my fifth year as Chair of the Engineering Technologies, Safety, and Construction (ETSC) Department. I serve as the program coordinator for three degrees – the Safety and Health Management (BS) degree and the Risk, Insurance, and Safety Management (BS/BAS) degrees. During my ten years at CWU, I have gained a unique set of skills for this Dean position by experiencing and observing the university functions from multiple angles – faculty member, program director, leader of the Faculty Senate, and Chair of a large and complex department. With my personal, academic, and professional experiences in both private and public sectors, I will bring a broad perspective and successfully lead the CEPS team. As an authentic servant leader, it is all about the people I will serve.

How do you plan to provide a sense of belonging to students within CEPS?

I firmly believe that inclusive excellence is critical for institutional excellence in all aspects and to make the college of choice dream a reality. We will provide a sense of belonging to students through a culture of active care and respect. Humans are hardwired to belong; our primary and core need to be wholly accepted and included by people around us, whether family, friends, or colleagues. As a college of choice, CEPS will create an educational experience that is a model that identifies and eliminates barriers that prevent students from joining our community (access) or reaching their true potential once they join us. We will position our students to do their best work and become their excellent selves when they graduate both career-ready and life-ready. When you invest in and genuinely care about your employee’s well-being, they are more likely to go above and beyond to retain students and best serve them. As a person who is not afraid to be vulnerable, a servant leader with a strong commitment, self-education, and grit, I believe we can create a sense of belonging on our journey towards the college of choice known for inclusive excellence.

While being the dean of CEPS, what goal do you most want to accomplish?

My vision is to make CEPS the college of choice rooted in a culture of active care, respect, trust, inclusion, positivity, collaboration, excellence, and innovation. I want to foster a community within CEPS that is equitable, provides a sense of belonging, and promotes excellence in student success and engagement, teaching, and research that will draw students, staff, and faculty to the college. This thriving CEPS community will have engaged external constituents, including our alumni and friends of CWU.

What has been your most memorable moment at CWU?

I have many. My most memorable moment is like Groundhog Day – witnessing the student life cycle repeating. It is very fulfilling to see students go through the student life cycle from recruitment to graduation. I have met several students at the new student orientation for the first time and then see them at commencement career-ready and life-ready four years later. It is memorable to see them come back and engage as alumni in the form of guest speakers, employers, and mentors; and give back as donors to positively impact their institution.

When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I think I am still young. Anyways, I wanted to serve as a police officer. I come from a family of police officers. My father, grandfather, and great-grandfather all served as police officers. I rode in my dad’s police jeep as a kid and was always inspired. Well, mom said no. She was always worried about dad every day during his 37 years of service in the force, given the risks involved with his service. However, I am so honored to be in higher education to continue my family tradition of public service.