Scene: The Sexhibition Condom Art Show

BY CAMILLE BORODEYAssistant Scene Editor

Photos by Nick TerrelAssistant Photo Editor 

Matthew Allen designed a dress out of duct tape, surrounded by condoms. The yellow and blue dress was made to look like Snow White’s dress.

“My reasoning behind this was to show that Disney portrays unrealized, unrealistic sexuality in their movies,” the information card for the piece read.  Five judges voted Allen’s piece as best in show.

Allen’s piece was part of a exhibit of condom art created by students, on display in The SURC on Tuesday. The Condom Art Show is part of Sex Central, which celebrates Sexual Responsibility Week and National Condom Month.

The display included 12 different pieces of art, all made by students.

Lianne Nguyen also took the Disney route. In her piece titled “A Different Spin on the Movie ‘Up,’’’ she used condoms to represent the balloons that are connected to the house in the Pixar film “Up.”

Veronica Montano researched what different STDs look like under a microscope for her piece.  She used the condoms as plasters and painted the condoms to look like simplified versions of what she saw under the microscope. Next to the piece, Montano noted, “The goal of this piece is to serve as a reminder of what you or your partner could be potentially carrying and how easily it could be contained.”

Ana Masters created a very colorful piece titled “Sensual Sea,” which won the award for fan favorite of the show. Along with condoms, Masters used pipe cleaners, googly eyes and paint to make her artwork look like an under-the-sea environment.

The Wellness Center is collaborating with Dr. Kimberly McBride to plan a variety of events that educate Central students about sex and sexual health.

Alice Bowman, health educator at the Wellness Center, knows sex isn’t always the easiest topic to discuss, and she hopes events like this will make educating students about sex more accessible and fun.