CWU ironman challenges student athletes

Recreation Center strives for inclusivit

Ty Mcphee, Staff Reporter

The Recreation Center is once again running its month-long Indoor Ironman event that will span the month of February and allow participants to record their progress.

The intramural sports page describes the event as a, “Self-guided triathlon with alternative track options!” This year along with the traditional biking, running and swimming, participants will also be able to track a 2,000-foot vertical climb on the rock wall and row 20,000 meters. 

Senior Coordinator of Sports and Camp Programs, Samantha Wary, said the previous coordinator wanted to make the Ironman more inclusive for people who couldn’t swim.

“They had come up with a few ideas, so this year we kind of finalized that and added the climb and the row to make it more accessible to anyone,” Wary said.

The event is a month long, but in previous years participants have managed to get it done in one day.

“There are a few students [in the past] who have challenged themselves to get it done in a day, Wary said. “I’m very interested to see if that actually happens.” 

Wary says that participants will receive an email on Feb. 1 which will allow them to track their progress. 

Everyone who registers will receive a CWU Indoor Ironman shirt, and those who win in each category may win a HydroFlask with a logo on it if Recreation gets the right approvals, according to Wary.

“Just something a little bit extra for those people who do finish first in the sense of competition that the Ironman normally brings” Wary said.

Wary said the number of participants in winter quarter of 2020 was the highest at 133 participants. As of this publication, 24 people have signed up. 

“We hope for high numbers, but understand that this year it still may be difficult,” Wary said.

Wary went on to say that she wants the event to be as open and accessible as possible this year so people can participate. 

“If you can find a way to do it outside, then please come and join us because we want to have you as part of our participants,” Wary said.

Registration ended on Jan. 31, and the event will run through the whole month of February.