Dining services supervisor investigated for ‘inappropriate boundaries’

HR report details numerous student complaints, concludes retaliation likely occurred; supervisor still on job

Designed by Meghan Salsbury

Laynie Erickson, Staff Reporter

Among the many complaints about management and an “unhealthy” work environment at Dining Services (see The Observer’s Oct. 28 article, Understaffing at dining services causes problems), one situation involved an official investigation into a dining supervisor’s allegedly inappropriate behavior towards female students working directly under him.

A series of complaints, made to Dining Services management in March 2021 and later as official complaints to CWU Human Resources (HR) in April, included allegations of inappropriate comments and boundaries, creation of a disrespectful environment and retaliation against students who complained about him.

The supervisor, Ryan Aspiri, who has denied the claims to HR, is still employed by Dining Services and oversees employees. The investigation through HR involved three official complaints and testimonies from seven student witnesses. The HR report also included an interview and response from Aspiri.

The Observer was given a copy of the HR final report dated June 4, 2021. The Observer also interviewed all three claimants, two other student witnesses interviewed in the investigation and HR Executive Director Staci Sleigh-Layman.  

The Observer reached out to the supervisor via email who refused to speak on the situation. His response said, “Honestly, I would not like to be interviewed about that. Everyone involved in that situation and I, are under strict orders from HR not to speak about it. I am sorry and wish you luck.”

Complaints

In a complaint to HR, student employee #1* alleged inappropriate behavior regarding the supervisor’s verbal remarks.

In their letter to HR, student employee #2 said, “I have heard from him firsthand about how many of the college [women] he stares at, as well as commenting on their features and body parts.”

In their letter to HR, student employee #2 said Aspiri has “talked about wanting to be intimate with some of the females that work at Dining Services.”

In the HR report, a witness described Aspiri’s character as “caring and understanding. He is willing to do what you need.”

According to the HR report, student employees #1 and #2 spoke to a manager in March about perceived special treatment for a female customer. The employees asked the manager for confidentiality to avoid trouble.

According to the HR report, two other student employees approached the same manager with concerns about Aspiri’s behavior during a conversation about International Women’s Day. 

In his interview with HR, Aspiri “suggested” he should have stopped the conversation completely.

In a written complaint to Dining Services on March 13, student employee #1 expressed concern about the supervisor for a second time. 

In a letter to HR, a third student, referenced as student employee #3, said they were approached by Aspiri. Student employee #3 said Aspiri was venting about the complaints against him, citing the claimants by name.

In an interview with The Observer, student employee #3 said, “[The supervisor] would not treat them nicely anymore or go out of his way to help them.”

In interviews with HR, four other student dining employees voiced concerns about alleged retaliatory conduct. These included Aspiri “not talking” to employees and not “stocking shelves.” 

One student employee interviewed by HR said the supervisor “villainized” student employee #1 to other student employees.

Investigation

According to the HR report, Assistant Director of Dining Services Denise Payton and General Manager of Student Union Dining Operations Wendy Robins held a meeting with the supervisor in question to go over concerns on March 15.

On April 20, student employees #1, #2 and #3 filed official complaints to HR, citing concerning behavior.

In those official complaints to HR, student employees #1 and #2 both reported feeling retaliated against by Aspiri since his March 15 meeting with management.

Sleigh-Layman interviewed the three claimants. She interviewed other Dining Services staff members, including the lead who received the initial complaints, eight additional student employees and one former student employee.

Four employees spoke to Sleigh-Layman about claims the supervisor commented on women’s bodies, specifically women’s breasts.

In Aspiri’s interview with HR, he denied making comments about the bodies of female employees or customers. He also denied wanting to be intimate with any female student employees.

The supervisor acknowledged to HR he made “some mistakes interacting with student employees.”

Outcomes

On June 4, HR issued a final report that said: “Based on information found in the investigation, it is more likely than not that Aspiri retaliated against [student employee #1 and #2] for information provided to [management] in March 2021.” 

The report said the retaliation “was not overt; rather it was passive-aggressive behavior…”

The HR report concluded that: “Based upon information gathered during the investigation it does not appear that conduct of a sexual nature created an intimidating, hostile, or offensive work environment.”

In an interview with The Observer, student employee #1 said they resigned from their position due to the way the situation was handled.

Student employee #3 no longer works at Dining Services but asked to remain anonymous due to their proximity to Aspiri’s workstation.

It’s not clear from the HR report or an interview with Sleigh-Layman, who could not acknowledge nor discuss this specific case, if there were consequences for the behavior detailed in the report. 

Aspiri continues to be in his Dining Services position overseeing students.

*Editor’s Note: To protect the identities of the claimants and witnesses, The Observer did not use their names or genders.

To view the editorial related to this story: https://cwuobserver.com/21122/news/how-i-got-the-story-and-ended-up-with-more-questions/