Study abroad to resume January 2022

CWU celebrates International Education Week

Stephen Martin, Staff Reporter

The Office of International Studies and Programs (OISP) has announced the resumption of study abroad programs in January 2022. The OISP hopes to educate students about opportunities for studying abroad during its sixth annual International Education Week (IEW). The week will consist of both virtual information sessions and in-person events. 

The process for applying to study abroad will look different than in the past. Applications must undergo three levels of approval and will rely heavily on COVID-19 levels in destination countries as well as a student’s vaccination status, according to OISP’s website.

Associate Director of Education Abroad Steven Cook said IEW is a time to celebrate international education and provide opportunities for students to engage in international education on campus.

Broadly speaking, it’s to celebrate international education and to highlight opportunities that students have come to engage in international education on campus,” Cook said. “For me, it’s an opportunity to promote education abroad and get students to think about what they could be doing and their different options.”

In addition to giving information to domestic students, the week also aims to recognize the achievements of international students.

“Part of it is to celebrate our international students, to help them make sure that they feel welcome and the campus values that they’re here and the contributions that they make to the campus,” Cook said. “And also to facilitate interaction between domestic CWU students and international CWU students.” 

Cook covered many upcoming events, and expanded on the alumni panel on Nov. 17, and the International Cafe on Nov. 18.

“We have four CWU alumni who all studied abroad during their time here, and they’re gonna talk about how their experiences abroad have influenced their post CWU lives and careers,” Cook said. “One of the others we particularly want to highlight is the International Cafe. We have an International Cafe two to three times every quarter, and it’s intended to facilitate interaction between international students and CWU students.”

IEW was created in 2000 by the Department of State and the Department of Education in order to “celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide,” according to the Department of State’s website. However, CWU has only been celebrating for around five years.

“[IEW] is US wide, and different institutions market in different ways,” Cook said. “CWU has been marking it more officially the last five years or so, as we’ve been able to get the staff to really do it effectively.”