Cooking is Good for the Soul

Courtesy of Pexels.com

Milenne Quinonez, Columnist

Cooking is good for the soul. I grew up in a family where cooking was a way for all my family to come together after a long day and enjoy a meal together. My mom would work long shifts on her feet and still managed to come home and cook a warm delicious meal. I never understood the serenity and comfort cooking meant to her. The kitchen was her domain and she had control over it, which is something I would soon learn. 

College is stressful, and for some who live in the dorms, being confined by four walls might cause people to miss home a little more. Especially home cooked meals, after eating the same food that is served at the Central Market or Holmes Dining. 

Luckily, I have the privilege of living off campus and in an apartment where I can fully utilize my kitchen. Which at first was intimidating, I could not imagine having to cook every day for myself. But I knew living off ramen was not something I could do; well I could, but chose not to. 

Eventually as I cooked more, I realized how de-stressing it was for me. It was a way for me to forget my stressful assignments, and challenge my creative side. It also allowed me to stay connected with my mom, since I called her for basically every dish I made. 

I learned patience, how to follow instructions and, most importantly, how to relax and treat food like an art and I was learning to express my creative side in the kitchen. Mind you, I am not artistic at all, but this made me feel like an artist. 

Although this idea is not scientifically proven there are some people who do believe that it is therapeutic. According to Southern Living “These activities alleviate depression by ‘increasing goal-oriented behavior and curbing procrastination.’”

Cooking is a good emotional release; I think it’s something about getting my hands dirty in the kitchen. It’s almost stimulating to my brain, since I normally use my hands to type on a computer or write, using my hands to slice vegetables is like a tension release that I find comfort in. 

According to Psychology today, the article describes  observing food in the kitchen, like a tangerine. Examine the color, the touch and the smell. The way you peel the section of the fruit, noticing the moment-to-moment sensation. “When you’re focusing on the moment this way, you’re not ruminating over past slights or worrying about future problems. Mindfulness also helps reduce stress and promotes greater gusto for life.” 

These are just a few examples and my own personal experiences of why I think cooking is good for the soul.