None of us know what we’re doing

And that’s totally okay

• Picture Credit @cwustudenthealthservices on Instagram

• Picture Credit @cwumec on Instagram

• Picture Credit @cwufarm on Instagram

• Picture Credit @cwu_atm on Instagram

Jamie Bass, Columnist

College is a time full of big decisions and life changes, but do any of us actually know what we want to do with our lives? Be happy? Financial stability? Something that we enjoy but don’t get paid a livable wage for? There’s a lot of decisions to be made that can feel like they’ll impact the rest of our lives. 

It’s a battle of what can set us up to provide financial stability and what will be sustainable for us to do long term. These are big decisions to make, and contrary to what it may feel like, it is okay to change your mind. 

According to The Student Research Foundation, 52% of math majors, 37% of education majors, 35% of STEM majors, 31% of business majors and 26% of healthcare field majors have changed their majors.

I myself have changed both my major and my school, being a transfer student. I was a nursing student at my previous university, but switched to English when I came to CWU. I’m happier for it but I still don’t know if that choice will be good for me or bite me in the ass later. 

But after all of this work will I actually get to use my degree? Turns out, I’m more likely to if I can get a job in my field right after I graduate. 

According to CNBC, “more than 40 percent of college graduates take positions out of school that don’t require a degree […] and more than 1 in 5 college grads still aren’t working a degree-demanding job a decade after leaving school.” 

Am I saying not to get a degree? No, not in the slightest. 

According to another article by CNBC “college graduates on average earn 80% more than those with just a high school diploma.” 

So yes, finish college, but don’t put too much pressure on yourself to have the rest of your life figured out.