Scene: Ellensburg rodeo crowns 2014 royalty

BY KATHERINE GOLARZ, Staff Reporter

Andrea Bland,  a student at Central was crowned Ellensburg’s Rodeo Royal Court Queen. The blonde beauty who wore an all-white dress, talked about the 91-year-history of the rodeo. Bland shared how she was born and raised an Ellensburg farmer’s daughter.

Every Labor Day Weekend, Ellensburg hosts their biggest event of the year, the  Ellensburg Rodeo. The rodeo consists of events with riders, ropers and wrestlers. Ellensburg is also the final stop of the Wrangler Million Dollar Gold tour and also hosts the World Finale of PRCA’s Extreme Bulls Tour.

The Royal Court Banquet is the kickoff event for the Rodeo each year. This year the banquet, held in the SURC Ballroom, was filled with Ellensburg locals who take pride in their local rodeo. The environment was upbeat and had a rodeo vibe with country music playing from the speakers, southern food was served with Coors Light and everyone was dressed in cowboy boots and hats.

The banquet began by introducing and thanking all of the special guests of the evening, which included the Ellensburg Posse, Top Hand, princesses and queens from years past and the 2013 Royal Court, princesses Jessie Johnson and Jessica Harris, and Queen Kayla Gibson.

The newly elected president of the Ellensburg Rodeo Board of Directors, Gene Dana, was formally introduced in the in the evening’s ceremony. “This is a truly an exciting night,” Dana said.

Kelsey Lindstrom, a Central student who is on the equestrian team, walked into the ballroom in a beautiful black and gold gown. Lingstrim expressed how important it is to her to get more girls to try out for the Rodeo pageant.

“I’ve already won by being a part of this journey,” Lingstrim said.

Lingstrim hopes to share her same enthusiasm with girls in future years that would like to be a part of the rodeo court.

Bailey Linder, a Blue Stone Academy graduate, who works at a salon in Ellensburg, wore a beautiful blue and silver sparkled dress.  She has been around the rodeo since she was a little girl, and it is her dream to return the favor to Ellensburg.

“My life is drawn to this Rodeo,” Linder said in her speech.  “I have the craving for rodeo and what’s behind it.”

Lutisha Owens is a Cle Elum native and student at Central. Owens entered the Ballroom in a stunning red and white dress. She expressed the importance of family tradition especially through her family’s meat shop, Owen’s Meats, in Cle Elum.

“It is said, if you don’t know where you come from, you don’t know where you’re going,” Owens said in her speech. “I at least know where I’m going, at least on Labor Day weekend, hopefully this year on Royal Court, the Ellensburg Rodeo. “

“I’m ready to represent Ellensburg as it has represented me,” Bland said.

The 2013 Royal Court reminisced over their accomplishments of the past year, such as being “best in parade 2013.” Gibson qualified in barrel racing, and Harris sang the nation anthem at the rodeo. After the farewells had taken place, the results for 2014 were ready to be announced.

Lutisha Owens was crowned first as princess, followed by Bailey Linder. Finally, Andrea Bland was crowned the 2014 Ellensburg Royal Court Queen, . Lindstrom was not chosen to be on court this year, but remained enthusiastic about her dreams.

All the girls showed so much enthusiasm and excitement for what the future year will hold. After the banquet was over Bailey Linder expressed how long she has waited for this day.

“I have wanted to run for royal court since I was six years old so to combine fourteen years into one moment, the moment they say your name, is indescribable,” Bailey said. “It was a dream come true. I’m so ecstatic and extremely excited to represent our Ellensburg rodeo this year.”

The Ellensburg Rodeo holds tradition and for these girls and to everyone that has ever been involved.