Volleyball: From Gonzaga to CWU

Tia Andaya returns to Ellensburg

Photo Courtesy of Tia Andaya

Kenia Reynosa, Staff Reporter

Former setter for Gonzaga Tia Andaya joins the women’s volleyball roster for the next season. After playing two seasons with the Zags, Tia is ready to return to a place she once called home. 

The sophomore, born and raised in Ellensburg, is pursuing a degree in exercise science.

During her time at Gonzaga she finished with a total of 42 matches, 927 assists and 238 digs. Tia said she enjoyed her time at Gonzaga but it was her personal growth as a player that made her think about moving on and transferring. 

“I felt like I got out what I could at Gonzaga,” Tia said. 

Volleyball has always been a part of Tia’s life. Her father, Mario Andaya, has been head coach of the CWU volleyball team since 1996. Growing up around CWU, she said she admired the girls playing for the crimson and black. 

“Those were the girls I looked up to as a child, I thought what would be better than playing for Central and being one of those girls,” Tia said. 

Tia began playing at an early age and joined her first team at the age of 8. She found success both in club and school teams.

Tia was a standout before even starting her collegiate career; she already had many achievements under her belt including being Central Washington Athletic Conference Player of the Year three years in a row, Yakima Valley Sports Volleyball Player of the Year and was a two-time Class 2A all-state selection. 

Mario is looking forward to working with his daughter once again as he previously coached her throughout her youth and club years. He said they have learned to create a dynamic that works for them, separating their father-daughter relationship to a coach and player one on the court. 

“She understands that dynamic and is comfortable with it moving forward with her decision,” Mario said. “We also have a great roster to add on to and we think she’d be a good fit.” 

Tia said she is thrilled to work with him at the collegiate level. 

“He is definitely hard on me but I know he has the best intentions.” Tia said. “College volleyball is much more intense and high profile … there will be a learning curve for sure but I’m super excited about it.”

Tia has been watching the Wildcats and is anticipating to get to play and meet her new team. 

“I’m excited to play with the girls,” Tia said. “I played club with a bunch of them … it looks like so much fun and I can’t wait to be part of the program.”

While at Gonzaga, Tia played as a setter but she is also a strong hitter and wants to show her abilities this upcoming season. 

“I’m going to be hitting and setting for Central, which I haven’t hit in like three years,” Tia said.

Tia is already looking ahead and has set goals that will hopefully result in making it to a conference championship or NCAA tournament. 

Tia is happy to be back in Ellensburg and with her family. 

“I love Ellensburg,” Tia said. “It’s a nice little town, everybody here is super nice.”