Maier’s making the most of his track season

Photo courtesy of CWU Athletics | Braydon Maier

Simon Lafita, Staff Reporter

With this year being senior Braydon Maier’s return to track and field after a head injury in 2020, Maier wanted to make the most of this season.

“When I had a head injury I couldn’t do anything for a few months,” Maier said. “I realized that I really enjoyed track and once it was taken away I missed it.”

As the 2021 track and field season progressed, Maier participated in a variety of events. Several events weren’t his forte. However, he produced impressive results in the events he excelled at: decathlon, pole vault, 110-meter hurdles and long jump. 

During the Great Northwest Athletic Conference (GNAC) Outdoors Championships, Maier won the men’s decathlon with a total of 6,776 points. He earned this by winning shot put with a mark of 11.42 meters, the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 15.26, discus with a mark of 30.99 meters, 1500-meter run with the time of 4:39.73 and pole vault with a height of 4.70 meters. 

“Braydon is a great all around athlete,” said Kevin Adkisson, the head coach of track and field. “His athleticism overall, is super impressive and his work ethic goes with it.”

Maier continued to win events in the following days of the GNAC Outdoors Championships and the Ken Shannon Invitational. He placed first in the men’s pole vault at both events. On day two of the GNAC Outdoors Championships he took second in the men’s long jump, earning him the GNAC Men’s Field Athlete of the week. 

Maier said he missed improving with his teammates and competing alongside them.

“I’m happy to be back on the field and being able to compete as much as we did,” Maier said. 

With the season over, Maier is planning to continue practicing for the future. In 2020, he took a redshirt season, a year when a student athlete doesn’t compete, so he’s looking forward to getting another track and field season to compete in.