Keia Mae Sagapolu named finalist for national award

Kenia Reynosa, Staff Reporter

CWU’s Keia Mae Sagapolu has been named a finalist for the MA Sorensen Award. The Sorensen is presented annually to the top women’s rugby college player in the country. The other three finalists for the award are Susan Adegoke from Life University, Richelle Stephens from Lindenwood University and Kathryn Stowers from Brigham Young University.

The award is sponsored by the Washington Athletic Club in Seattle and named after MaryAnne Sorensen. Sorensen, who is now a doctor, was a pioneer in women’s rugby both as a player and coach. She was also part of the winning 1991 USA women’s rugby world cup team.

Sagapolu is a junior communications major from Tacoma. She has been with the team since her freshman year and is a tighthead prop. Sagapolu decided to join after seeing the team on YouTube and liked how close everyone was and the culture of the team. This was one of the main reasons she decided to attend CWU.

Sagapolu joined the team just days before the season began as a walk-on, which is a player that isn’t recruited. 

“Mae was a walk-on, which is pretty crazy. She wasn’t even on our radar and she just emailed us and said if there was a walk-on spot, and we said sure. She ended up being freshman of the year and has grown ever since,” head coach Trevor Richards said. 

What sets her apart from the rest of the nominees is Sagapolu’s position. She’s the only prop that was nominated this year. This position is on the frontline and is considered one of the most important positions on the field. Being a prop requires a lot of physical strength as they take many hits during a match.

“She’s at the heart of the scrum,” Richards said. “She has played a big part of our dominant scrum this season. Combined with her ball skills, athleticism and speed, she’s a very strong person both physically and as a human being. I’m really proud and excited for her because she’s getting the recognition that she deserves.” 

Sagapolu said she never imagined herself getting to this point, but rugby changed her as a person. Joining the rugby team was one of the best decisions she has made. It taught her the importance of how to balance both school and her sport. 

“I feel like I’m a better teammate and student because of it,” Sagapolu said.

She’s grateful for the matches they got to play this year and plays every match as if it were her last. Sagapolu said the reason she’s gotten this far is because of her teammates, coaches and family who have motivated her to be the best she can be. 

“I didn’t think I was gonna make it this far,” Sagapolu said. “I came in freshman year with little to nothing of experience and they kept pushing me.”  

Many players have been nominated for this award in the past, however no one from CWU has won it so far. Sagapolu said winning this award would mean that she’s doing something right and her hard work and efforts have paid off. She also wants to make her team and family proud and wants her little siblings to see that anything is possible when you’re determined and work hard.

“It would put our team and program on the map and show how good we are and hopefully will get us more recruits,” Sagapolu said.

The winner will be selected by the MA Sorensen panel and announced later this month.