CWU community invited to attend an anti-racism webinar with Dr. Ibram X. Kendi

Jackson Sorensen, Staff Reporter

New York Times bestselling author Dr. Ibram X. Kendi will meet with members of the CWU community on Wednesday, May 12, during a special one-hour webinar. The event will be taking place virtually on Zoom from 4 p.m.- 5 p.m. 

Kandee Cleary, the vice president of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at CWU, is part of the team planning this event. 

“We chose Dr. Kendi because his book has been used on campus before and it seemed like the perfect opportunity,” Cleary said. “Kendi is engaging and doesn’t hold back with his content.”

Kendi has been regarded as one of the nation’s leading antiracism scholars. He is the founding director of the Boston University Center for Antiracism Research. 

Kendi is known for his books “How to Be an Antiracist,” “The Black Campus Movement” and “Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America.” 

“How to Be an Antiracist” became an international bestseller and was translated into several different languages. Kendi won the National Book Award in 2016 for “Stamped from the Beginning.”   

Kendi serves as a racial justice contributor for CBS News. He was named the 2020-21 Frances B. Cashin Fellow at the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study at Harvard University. Times magazine deemed Kendi one of the 100 most influential people in the world. 

“This webinar will take us from great to greatness,” Cleary said. “It will make us even better and will better our equity and our sense of belonging that people tend to associate with CWU.” 

The event can be accessed through the events calendar on Central Today. To learn more about Kendi and his work, visit his website at www.ibramxkendi.com