Last Open Mic Night gives one last opportunity to perform

Sam Harris, Staff Reporter

For many students this year, a creative outlet to perform their talents has been difficult. Last year, Open Mic Night was held at the 1891 Bistro, which has now closed. Open Mic Night was a weekly event where students would express themselves through creative mediums such as comedy, music and poetry. 

Now, Open Mic Night happens much less frequently, about twice per quarter. Any student can watch either in person at the SURC pit, or through Campus Activities’ Instagram live. About 20 people attend the show in-person, however the livestream boosts the number of attendees to about 70 according to Staff Reporter Libby Williams, the student event coordinator and Open Mic MC.

Due to the fewer live performance opportunities, many of last year’s attendees have been posting their creative content on social media. For long-time attendees like poet Champagne Ryder, live performances are much more preferable. 

“I prefer open mics because it is honestly the best exposure,” Ryder said. “[With] social media you’re playing to an algorithm. [With] Open Mics you’re playing to an audience.”

Ryder said he strongly encourages anyone who may be hesitant to perform at Open Mic Night.

“It’s the most supportive audience you’ll ever have in your life. Shake off those nerves and do the damn thing,” Ryder said.

“One of my favorite parts about the open mics is how supportive everyone is of each other,” said Alisa Muench, a frequent attendee from Campus Activities. “Someone can get up there and totally freeze up and the audience will just cheer them on and let them know that they’re doing great! Everyone wants everyone to succeed.”

Performers and audience members alike can rest easy with the knowledge that all equipment is sanitized between performers, all attendees are kept track of and the spaces are not overloaded according to Muench. Masks will be required as per usual SURC protocol. 

The next and final Open Mic Night will be on Thursday May 13th. Sign ups to perform will begin at 7:30 p.m. and the show starts at 8.