Gaudino recognized as Washingtonian of the day

Mitchell Roland, News Editor

Outgoing President James L. Gaudino was recognized by the state’s governor as the Washingtonian of the day for April 27.

Gov. Jay Inslee made the announcement during his recent visit to campus. This is the second acknowledgement from the state government for Gaudino.In March, both chambers of the legislature passed bills recognizing Gaudino for his time at CWU.

“[Gaudino] has brought an international flare and accessibility to CWU,” Inslee said during his visit to campus. “I was honored to make him Washingtonian of the day.”

During his visit, Inslee said Gaudino has a “very, very strong legacy” at CWU, and credited him for the on-campus vaccine clinic as well as CWU’s response to COVID-19.

“One of [Gaudino’s] strengths that I’ve seen, is the ability to get multiple organizations and communities to work together for a common purpose,” Inslee said.

Courtesy of Public Affairs

Gaudino said the recognition from the governor was a “complete surprise.”

“It was a fantastic gesture on his part,” Gaudino said.

Since Inslee became governor, Gaudino has given him a different CWU pin during his visits to campus. Whenever the governor visits, he wares one of the pins in his collection. Gaudino said the gesture was partly pay back.

“This was, I think, kind of his way of both complimenting me for the leadership, I don’t know if it’s deserved, but certainly it was welcome,” Gaudino said. “But also, kind of getting back at me for making him wear Wildcat pins.”

These awards also come as CWU prepares to welcome a new president. Inslee said he was not concerned with the impending departure of Gaudino, due to the “established culture” at CWU.

“He’s been a tremendous president, I really value the great work that he did,” Inslee said.

Following Inslee’s visit last week, Gaudino said his successor, A. James Wohlpart, would officially take over on June 7. While the spring semester for Wohlpart’s current employer, the University of Northern Iowa, will not end until this week, Gaudino said the incoming president has already begun to prepare for his new job.

“[Wohlpart] and I are in conversation,” Gaudino said. “He’s talking regularly with the vice presidents. He’s got a full-time job as provost where he’s at, but in the afternoons and evenings he’s starting to increasingly engage the university, learning what’s going on.”