CWU offered spring events

Ondrea Machin, Senior Reporter

In an effort to keep students in Ellensburg and minimize the spread of COVID-19, CWU offered quite a few activities over spring break.

Students had the options of Monday Movie Madness, trivia, fireside chat, bingo, Geek Out, Game Out, a scavenger hunt and take-and-make kits. Each of these events, with the exception of fireside chats, were available in-person and virtually.

OPR offered the fireside chat, which gave students the opportunity to sit around a fire, roast s’mores and chat. Geek Out, Game Out offered board games and video games. 

The take-and-make kits were at the information center and students could grab either a watercolor kit or a print making kit with all materials and instructions included.

Clues for the scavenger hunt were posted on the Diversity and Equity Center’s Instagram page, @cwudiversity, and it gave students the opportunity to explore Ellensburg and the CWU campus. Participants got clues to find things from a building in town that existed prior to 2000 to taking a picture with three sculptures around campus.

Robbi Goninan

Assistant Director of Campus Activities and Wildcat Tickets Robbi Goninan said she was surprised at how many people participated both virtually and in-person. Since Kittitas county moved into phase three at the start of spring break, the amount of people allowed for in-person events increased. 

“All the students have been awesome about it, I think everybody really understands where we are with this and wants to get back to engaging in-person,” Goninan said.  

Masks and social distancing were also followed in all the activities. 

Program Manager of the Diversity and Equity Center Justin Santoli, who was in charge of the scavenger hunt, said he was excited to see students engage through social media and in the community. 

“I’m just happy to engage with students online and even just posting the clues to our socials was some really nice engagement on our social media,” Santoli said.

The activities over spring break got great feedback and the rest of the programs in the past have received great feedback as well, according to Santoli. With COVID-19 restrictions reducing, CWU plans to offer more in-person events this spring. 

“It’s spring, it’s nice out, we’re in phase three, there’s a lot of programming areas that are really excited to put on some outdoor programming for spring,” Goninan said. 

The Diversity and Equity Center have some great events coming up, such as pride month and hiring opportunities, and they will be posting them on their Instagram @cwudiversity.