Men’s basketball suffers a tough loss against Saint Martin’s University

CWU Athletics

Xavier Smith (right) drives base line to score a basketball in last Saturday’s game.

Dakaline White, Staff Reporter

In the first of a two-game stint versus the Saint Martin’s Saints, the men’s basketball team falls 80-73. 

Senior Guard CJ Hyder and Senior Forward Marqus Gilson both ended the game with team-high 15 points. Hyder was 6-11 from the field, with three three-pointers to his credit. Gilson was an efficient 5-6 from the field. Following his only miss, came with 12:13 left on the clock where he followed through with an offensive rebound and a put back for two. 

After winning the opening tip, Redshirt Sophomore Guard Lewis Pope hit a three off an assist credited to Senior Guard Xavier Smith. With 14:53 still remaining in the first half, Hyder knocked down another three-pointer for the Wildcats cutting the Saints lead to just three. 

With 7:54 left in the first half Gilson made two free-throws which got the team their 16th and 17th points of the game. Although, still down by 13 points. In the last five minutes of the half CWU missed six shots in a row but at the buzzer, Freshman Guard Colby Gennett made a corner-three to cut the Saints lead to 18 points. 

Gennett played 15 minutes, shot 2-2 from the field and ended the game with seven points. 

Starting the second half, Gilson came out and made two layups followed by Senior Guard Xavier Smith’s jumper from the paint which was his third made shot in the game. Smith finished the game with 13 points. 

After being down by double digits the whole game, Senior Forward Matt Poquette made two free-throws cutting the Saints lead to just nine. With 13:10 left on the clock Gennett who was assisted by Freshman Guard Jalai O’Keith, was fouled on a made layup. Gennett converted the and-1 opportunity.  

After an offensive rebound by Gilson, he made a tough layup bringing CWU to within six points. The score was 51-45.

With 4:57 left in the game, Gilson blocked a layup by the Saints which was rebounded by Smith who brought the ball up court and made an inside jumper making the score 67-56, Saints up. 

CWU called a 30 second timeout hoping to plan a comeback in under five minutes. 

With only 19 seconds to go, Sophomore Guard Micah Pollard grabbed a defensive rebound and went coast-to-coast for a fastbreak jumper. 

Never having the lead, CWU ended the night shooting 45.8% from the field in an 80-73 loss to Saint Martin’s. 

The men’s basketball team looks to get their first win of the year when they finish off their two-game series against the Saints in Lacey tonight (Feb 27).