The Morgan Insider: A learning tool for young students

Peighton Bortle, Reporter

Morgan Middle School has advanced its student learning by publishing students’ work into their newspaper, The Morgan Insider. 

Used as a learning tool, the Insider is a fun way to burst the students’ creative side, especially for a much wider audience.

By pushing creativity, participating in graphic design and writing about topics that most interest them, the eighth-grade students received exciting feedback from CWU’s honors society, Lambda Phi (LPH) during their collaboration. 

Senior communications major and LPH president, Drew Luckie, has been reviewing the students work and is fascinated with what he has seen. 

“Just as a college student I have interest in what they do. They are very motivational with that and I have no doubt that the other students around them probably feed off of that in the same capacity,” Luckie said. 

Eighth grade journalism teacher, Carly Clark, explains the much different but wide variety of content her 11 to 14 year-old students provide. 

“To see articles with kids who are doing doodles… to an article about a new Minecraft expansion, to an article about when Lil Nas X did a concert in Roblox,” Clark said. “Whether the kids are interested or not, it reminds them always that they have peers that are interested in those things and it helps them stay connected.” 

The purpose of the Insider is to allow students to stay connected on a bigger platform, allowing them feedback and criticism to use as a challenge for improvement while having fun with their creativity. 

It is important for the students to learn that writing can be enjoyable and taken to a more entertaining level, even if it is just as much a learning tool. 

“We want kids to understand each other, to look at each other with empathy, to hear each other with empathy,” Clark said. “It’s just a friendly reminder to these students that they have opportunity and that writing can truly be anything.”

Between the LPH’s feedback and their work being published for their friends and families to see, the Morgan Middle School journalism students have been able to learn skills and express creativity that gets put out into the world and not just in a basket to be graded.

Find the latest edition on the Morgan Middle School Website under “Activities.”