Central creates Destination 2025 for new students

Madalyn Banouvong, Staff Reporter

Destination 2025’s plan’s main goals for the next five years include supporting new student recruitment, diversity and inclusion, retention, persistence and degree completion. Since diversity and inclusion in the classroom has been proven to be necessary to create a healthy learning environment, it is part of the reason why Destination 2025 was created at CWU.

Josh Hibbard, vice president of enrollment management, said he has been excited to share the highs and lows that came to the completion of the year’s objectives. Coming off the success of year one, those involved were able to improve their capabilities to support the plan. 

The enrollment management division’s website explains that currently in year two they will be focusing on tasks like enhancing online and remote services and transfer student recruitment, support and services. 

To assist with the plan, workgroups of students are split to specialize in enrollment, diversity, student success and projections. Excluding projection, each group focuses on their goal and breaks down how to incorporate it into projects, initiatives and activities for the year. 

Because of COVID-19, those involved were able to quickly make changes and adapt accordingly after year one. Events have been salvaged and saved for later dates as the enrollment division decided how to move forward, adding additional activities to the original plans in response to COVID-19. 

In addition to increased diversity and inclusion of more traditionally under-represented student groups, the plan’s third main objective is to increase retention and completion rates. This goal involves more than first year students and affects all those who choose to enroll at CWU. 

“The goals go beyond just new student recruitment,” Hibbard said. “In many ways we really think about number three as student success and how that plays into our overall enrollment.”

All students are encouraged to create plans for success and connect with the staff during their time at the university with Destination 2025. 

There are yearly overviews and quarterly check-ins the plan stays on top of to make sure everyone is proceeding like they are supposed to. The workgroup’s focuses are documented and measured to see if the goals have been met or they need help to reach the fullest potential. Monthly meetings between all areas help to follow the progress and discuss how to overcome roadblocks.

Hibbard said he is especially passionate about Destination 2025 because not every university has an enrollment program like this that shows they are committed to what they’ve outlined for their students. It is important to the team that not only does CWU have a plan, they intend to follow up frequently on each of the objectives. 

“I think the fact that we have a plan and branded Destination 2025, it demonstrates our commitment to these things,” Hibbard said. “Because we’re not just saying we value these things, we are building a plan and developing action items that we can measure every single year that takes us one step closer to achieving the goals in the plan.”