The Recreation Center makes a comeback

Jake Tilley, Staff Reporter

With students eagerly waiting for the Recreation Center to re-open for what would be their busiest quarter of the year, the staff has to make sure that they are ready for anything to happen. 

University Recreation Director Matthew Boyer said the Recreation Center opened back up Jan. 14. Students must now reserve a time online for access to the Recreation Center. 

There is a new rule saying each person working out needs 500 square feet. The Recreation Center will only be allowed to have 30 people per hour and each reservation time is a maximum of 45 minutes long. Each person will be required to wear a mask and complete a daily wellness check upon entering the Recreation Center.

Some things being offered this quarter are the basketball courts, as well as personal training. The basketball courts will allow one person per half court giving them the opportunity to dribble or shoot by themself. There will be no games against other people even if it’s only one-on-one. 

One-on-one personal training sessions can still be booked while following COVID-19 guidelines. Appointments are also up to 45 minutes long. 

The track will be closed because there are temporarily workout machines stored on there. Boyer said the staff tried to put the machines on the basketball court, but the court is specially made and the machines would damage the courts over time which they don’t want. 

Boyer said the process has been challenging since they had to figure out how to set up an online reservation system. He also said the staff is putting in a great effort to keep all the workers on the same page so there are no inconsistent messages being told to the students. 

More information regarding the Recreation Center can be found on CWU’s website.