News: S&A votes to fund new Wellington the Wildcat suit

BY KRISITI YOUNG, Staff Reporter

Funding a new suit for Central mascot  Wellington the Wildcat became a main topic for discussion at the Services and Activities Fee Committee meeting Oct. 23.

The week prior, BOD Vice President for Student Life and Facilities Scott Kazmi requested a total amount $1540.56 to purchase a new Wellington suit from the committee.

The request, if approved, would cover the costs to purchase a new suit as well as monthly cleanings.

The S&A Fee Committee is funded by a percentage of student tuition costs. Full-time Central students pay a $231 S&A fee every quarter.

Funds generated by the S&A  fee is intended to be used on services and activities for students.

School clubs and organizations present their request for supplemental funding to a 14 member committee consisting of eight student members, three faculty members, two advisors, and one chair appointed member.

The Wellington proposal left some members of the committee feeling the request did not adequately consider health hazards for the students working in the mascot suit.

“I was very concerned with the request from the standpoint that only purchasing one suit still does not provide adequate cleaning time and turnaround time,” said Sharon Jonassen, student funds financial manager and advisor to the committee.

Currently, the Wellington suit is nearing the end of its usable life and is being air dried between uses. Purchasing two suits instead of one would allow more flexibility and address any employee health concerns according to Jonassen, a non-voting member of the committee.

The committee is capable of funding more or less than what was originally asked for in a request.

Funds granted by the committee must be used by the requester for the intended purpose proposed to the committee.

According to Executive Vice President of the ASCWU-BOD and the Chair of the S&A committee, Jacob Wittman, the members encourage organizations to fundraise and seek other sources before coming to them.

“Sometimes budgets aren’t enough and that’s where we come in,” Wittman said.

John Bowen, professor and Interim Chair of the geography department, was reluctant to fund the request with the added money for an extra suit.

“I can certainly appreciate the health concerns that Sharon has raised,” Bowen said. “But it is my understanding, or my recollection, that it has never been in our practices to approve for more money than what is asked for.”

Bowen seconded the idea of faculty committee member and assistant professor of family studies, Sarah Feeney.

Feeney proposed that the committee fund the request, but strongly suggested a second proposal to fund a second suit.

Student committee member JD Charest made the point that other mascot suits are generally much more expensive than the cost of the Wellington suit.

Charest explained that the additional suits would be worth the cost.

“The fact that this is Wellington Wildcat, the face of Central Washington University, I think it is not only a necessity for an additional two suits for them to buy, I think we also need to pay for the cleaning,” Charest said.

Charest motioned to vote on funding for two Wellington suits and additional cleaning costs. With no second to his motion, the topic returned to discussion.

Feeney motioned to fund the request for the amount asked for and suggest the organization return with a second request for another suit and cleaning expenses.

Feeney’s motion was seconded by Bowen and passed with four members in favor, two in abstention and one in opposition.