Fall sports coaches hoping season can still happen

Kyle Wilkinson

Junior Eric Wilkes finished with one touchdown in 2019. His senior year of football is still up in the air.

Rey Green, Staff Reporter

As spring quarter comes to an end and summer time rolls around, the next question that everyone is waiting to be answered is if there will be fall sports or not. 

CWU President James Gaudino sent out a mass email May 26 titled, “Fall 2020 Plans.” The email began with Gaudino saying he was “pleased to announce that CWU is finalizing plans to invite students to campus for the fall 2020 quarter.” 

The email stated students will have the option to take classes online due to safety reasons.  

Some fall sports coaches are hoping this means they will be able to have a season. 

“I’m very hopeful of having the season,” football head coach Chris Fisk said. “The plan as of right now is that we will have a football season.” 

Fisk said the decision process takes some time because a lot of people have to approve whether it is possible the season can be played. From the state level, the governor has to make the decision to reopen the state, then it moves down to Gaudino from there.  

“Ellensburg is in the process of moving to phase two of the reopening process by Governor Inslee,” Fisk said. “That’s a positive step moving forward and a win for us.”

According to www.governor.wa.gov, phase two of the process of reopening the state says individuals are allowed to gather with no more than five people outside of their households. Essential travel and limited nonessential travel are permissible.  

“There will most likely be some changes and restrictions to the way we would normally function. We will just have to adjust according,” Fisk said. “Division II across the board, has decided to lose one game from the season. That’s one restriction we have to live with.”

Volleyball head coach Mario Andaya said CWU’s start date is usually Aug. 15, but that will most likely not happen, along with the season being shortened as well. 

“As of right now, I do not know of any other current updates on the fall season,” Andaya said. “A lot of decisions are still up in the air.” 

According to ESPN, only a handful of schools have a set day they will be reopening the campus to their student athletes. Schools like Clemson University, Louisville University, Illinois University, Oklahoma University and The Ohio State University have decided to do so starting as early as June 8 to, at the latest, July 1. Every other school in the country is still to be determined. 

ESPN also mentioned schools that are reopening to student athletes will have to undergo a physical, including both COVID-19 and antibody tests, before being cleared for workouts. This is so no viruses are spread in the facilities. Student athletes will also have to complete a daily screening before entering facilities as well.  

According to both Fisk and Andaya, CWU sports will be deciding on the upcoming fall sports season as soon as other states start to reopen.