Women’s Soccer adds five new players

Holly Hunter, Staff Reporter

CWU Women’s Soccer added five new players to the roster for the upcoming season. Jayme Woodfil, Aleah Washington, Maggie McBroom, Payton Lindell and Morgan Fischel are all incoming freshmen. 

“We were looking to bring more competition in and we were fortunate that we had been following a number of these players,” head coach Micheal Farrand said. “We were fortunate that a lot of teams missed on them a little bit. They were a little bit late in terms of development but they were fantastic and fun additions for us.”

Jayme Woodfil, a senior transfer from Dallas Baptist University (DBU), has already competed at the level of competition Farrand is looking to get his team to. 

“[Woodfil] actually played not this year but two years previously in the final sweet 16,” Farrand said. “[She’s] an older player, competitive great teammate and a girl who we just thought already knows what it’s like to compete at that level, and that’s what we’re chasing.” 

Woodfil is a 5-foot-7-inch forward from Texas. In her freshman year at DBU Woodfil played in 20 games, starting in seven of them. She was tied for fourth on the team with three goals that season. In her sophomore season, Woodfil played in 23 games and made three starts. That season Woodfil played a season high 49 minutes in a game against Texas A&M Commerce and scored her first goal of the year. 

Woodfil is looking forward to spending some time in the Pacific Northwest exploring a new school and playing some soccer. 

“When I got in contact with CWU, I was excited about the opportunity. A few weeks later I was on campus and it felt like home. I remember telling my dad that I was actually upset how much I liked it because I wish I could’ve been here sooner. I’m super excited to be a part of the CWU Women’s Soccer team and can’t wait to compete next season,” Woodfil said in a press release on Wildcatsports.com. 

Farrand said Woodfil is someone they really look forward to having on the team this fall. 

“Woodfil is the girl we’re excited to have because of her previous playoff experience in the sweet 16 and she worked really, really hard to get here,” Farrand said. 

Aleah Washington, a 5-foot-8-inch forward, played varsity all four years for Ferndale High School. During her time in high school, Washington was named offensive MVP twice. She helped the team advance to their first state in school history where they advanced to the quarterfinals. 

“[She’s] a super athlete, she plays pretty much every position through the back line to the front,” Farrand said. “She’s playing as a forward now and is a very physical, strong athlete, so I think she’ll add to the competition and the talent.”

Maggie McBroom is a defender from Vancouver, Washington. She played for Hudson Bay High School and during her senior year she was named to the 3A Greater St. Helens All League team. McBroom was awarded first team all league honors both her junior and senior years. 

“I chose [CWU] because it has the right academic programs for me, as well as a great team environment where I can challenge myself and grow as a player,” McBroom said in a press release on Wildcatsports.com. “I can’t wait to join my teammates this fall.”

Farrand got to see McBroom play at the Pacific Northwest (PAC) soccer tournament back in January. 

“She plays as defensive midfielder and we need to bring a little bit more depth into that role behind Paige Devine, and develop somebody that can play that position and compete,” Farrand said. “She scored a stunning goal at the PAC tournament from about 30 [yards] out. That was a fun goal, she’s a good player.”

Payton Lindell is a 5-foot-6 inch defender who played all four years for Washougal High School. Lindell received a varsity letter all four years of her high school career. 

Farrand said the coaching staff had seen her earlier, but Lindell originally committed to play at Concordia University. When Concordia announced the school would be closing for good, Farrand reached back out to recruit Lindell to play for CWU. 

“[Lindell] is one player on that roster we wanted to try and get back,” Farrand said. “She’s an incoming freshman as a defender and she’s actually really good.”

Lindell said she ended up choosing CWU because it’s closer to home for her and because she likes the atmosphere. 

“They have many different majors to choose from [at CWU] and the soccer program is competitive,” Lindell said in a press release on Wildcatsports.com. 

Another new recruit is 5-foot-8-inch defender from California, Morgan Fischel. She currently attends JSerra Catholic High School, but she only played soccer there until her sophomore year. Fischel played for the Pateadores Development Academy, which is a U.S. soccer development academy. 

Farrand recruited Fischel because the program was looking to add some depth in the defender position. 

“We followed her career a little bit and were able to get her up here for a visit,” Farrand said. “She’s going to add to the back line where we actually need to fill some gaps.”

Fischel chose CWU because it was the right size university she was looking for and it was in the area where she was planning to attend college. 

“I love the small-town college feel of Ellensburg and how it is different from anything I have ever experienced coming from California,” Fischel said in a press release on Wildcatsports.com. “I felt as if I would fit best in the soccer program at CWU because I really like Coach [Farrand] and Coach [Kroger]’s style of play and how they have continued to succeed in growing the program every season.”