Students virtually escape from quarantine

Mitchell Roland, Senior Reporter

Imagine living on your own private island, that you are able to decorate as you please, while fishing and roaming around freely in clear and sunny weather 365 days a year. There’s no need for social distancing because on your island, and there’s no such thing as COVID-19. You are simply free to live your life.

Or, if you are a little more daring, you’re a high school student in a fictional Japanese town trying to solve a series of mysterious murders. By watching television late at night, you are suddenly transported into an otherworld where monsters roam.

For a completely different experience, pretend you are an ancient warrior tasked with battling demonic forces from hell who have taken over earth. To save the planet, you must kill the demons and their leader.

While all these scenarios may seem far fetched, to some students, whether they’re playing Animal Crossing, Persona 4 or Doom Eternal, video games offer a perfect escape to a different world.

Tyler Smith, a junior ITAM major, said his video game usage has gone up dramatically during the stay-at-home order. Smith said he currently plays anywhere from 30 minutes to 12 hours a day, depending on homework.

“Before the virus, I would maybe play one or two hours a week,” Smith said. “Since I can’t meet people in real life, I might as well meet them digitally.”

Smith said while he plays, he gets to make jokes and talk to his friends, which makes him feel more connected.

“Getting to keep in touch and talk to people that I like and like me let’s me feel not alone in a time of crisis,” Smith said.

Smith said he usually plays multiplayer games with his friends on his personal computer (PC), and recommends the game Doom Eternal, which is available on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

“If someone likes playing first person shooters, then Doom Eternal is really good,” Smith said.

By playing video games, Smith said he is able to get his mind off the virus and focus on something else.

“It is my escape from the quarantine,” Smith said.

Ryan Steeves, a senior business major, said he bought a Nintendo Switch a week into quarantine to help pass the time.

“I figured it would be a good way to keep some of my sanity,” Steeves said.

Steeves said before quarantine, he would go out to a restaurant or a bar with friends. Since that isn’t an option right now, he has turned to gaming.

“This has kind of been my substitute for that,” Steeves said.

James Vera, a senior business major, said he’s noticed that he’s been playing more during quarantine since he has more free time.

“Ever since the virus hit, I’ve seen that I’ve been playing a little bit more,” Vera said. “Any time I finish homework and studying, I play.”

Before the quarantine, Vera said he and his friends would all meet at one of their houses to play video games. Since that is not possible now, they talk on Discord while playing which allows them to stay connected.

Vera said he uses his free time to play games he didn’t have the time to before, to revisit games he’s played in the past and to play newer games. Vera said the best game he has replayed during the quarantine is Persona 4, which he plays on the PlayStation Vita. 

“For me, replaying it reminds me of how great it is,” Vera said. “That game just shouts life.”

Vera said in the game, you’re rewarded when you interact with other characters. Through this you begin to learn more of their back stories.

“I wouldn’t say it’s a replacement for actual socializing,” Vera said. “It simulates it.”

Vera said he uses video game characters as motivation, and that playing shows him how much he can accomplish. Vera said while people often look down on video games as child’s play, there are games that can help make someone better.

“It can change a person inside and out,” Vera said.

Vera said through games, people can build friendships and communicate with people they otherwise wouldn’t know.

However, more people playing video games has brought some issues. The increased demand for video games means some supplies are running low.

For years, Vera has recommended that his friends buy a Switch. With the success of Animal Crossing as well as increased free time, his friends now ask where they can buy one. Vera said the Game Stop where he works has been out of the gaming console for months.

“It’s pretty crazy what they are going for right now on Ebay,” Vera said.

Vera said his store hasn’t received any new Switches, and the stores that do sell out quickly.

Animal Crossing has also led to the creation of a new marketplace, where people spend real money for virtual items.

“It builds its own economy,” Vera said.

Vera said players are not guaranteed items in the game, so if they want a certain item for their island they may have to reach for their wallet.

Vera said he has been playing a lot of the newly released Animal Crossing on his Switch lately, which gives him a calming hobby.

“I am continuously taking care of my town and making it nicer,” Vera said. “It’s really relaxing.”

Vera said he spends his time fishing and doing other activities in the game. Currently, he is working on a layout of a new shopping center in the game.

“It makes me feel more at ease with what is going on outside,” Vera said.