Get walking with Wildcats on the Move Walking Challenge

Karina Severino, Staff Reporter

Faculty, staff and students are on the move with the six week Wildcats on the Move Walking Challenge. The challenge is meant to be a fun way for people to get some exercise.

“We have been doing this for three years,” Kathy Johnson, a human resources (HR) partner said. “We’re doing it for wellness, just to get people thinking about health and get them up and moving.”

The Wildcats on the Move Walking Challenge is for individuals or teams of three. The challenge goes on from April 19 to May 31. There are four categories participants can be in.

Daffodil category is an average of less than or equal to 60,000 steps per week per member. Tulip Category is an average between 60,000 and 74,000 steps per week per member. Lavender category is an average between 74,000 and 94,000 steps per week per member, and Rose category is an average of more than 94,000 steps per week per member.

As of April 27, there are 47 teams and 13 individuals participating in the challenge. Of those participating, 122 are staff, five are faculty and 27 are students.

“The numbers have gone down this quarter,” Johnson said. “It’s kinda harder to get the word out when we’re all in different places.”

Johnson said due to the stay-at-home order, they have seen a decline in numbers, but it was expected. The committee had a harder time getting the word out this quarter due to campus being closed. 

The challenge originally started off as an event for staff from 51 departments across campus. According to Douglas Fulp, assistant director of the Wellness Center, HR and the Wellness Center decided to collaborate and make this challenge available to the students.

“I really love the collaboration that we have been able to work with. To connect the staff, faculty and students,” Fulp said. “It’s just really great to be able to promote health on a broader, environmental level and to help everyone understand that everyone is included in this idea of just getting up and moving.”

Autumn Wilson, a student majoring in anthropology, just recently heard about the challenge.

“I think it’s a good idea. I mean people being cooped up isn’t good,” Wilson said. “To have a goal to achieve and exercising by just walking is a good idea. I don’t know when… possibly in the future it would be a cool idea to get a group of friends together and [participate].”

The challenge is more than just competing for the highest number of steps. There is also a team photo competition. In previous years, teams have taken creative pictures for the photo contest. 

“It’s great to see how people can be so creative and take such fun pictures,” Johnson said. “It is different now since we have to make sure our participants are practicing social distancing.”

Johnson said they’re really encouraging participants to follow social distance guidelines while they are walking and taking team pictures.

“We weren’t sure if we should do it this quarter,” Johnson said. “But we think if people really tried and were reminded to follow those guidelines, it can work. We just really want to emphasize the importance of that.”