ASCWU elections approaching

Ty Mcphee, Staff Reporter

The ASCWU elections for this year are going to be held in an entirely online format due to the current COVID-19 restrictions.

Applications for the election began April 16 and will be ending at 4 p.m. on May 1, giving students a day left to apply. 

ASCWU Advisor Jeff Rosenberry said how exciting it is to be making progress with the elections for the upcoming ASCWU student elections at the April 15 ASCWU public meeting that was held online.

Rosenberry added that two public debates will also be held online to see how the candidates handle the debate setting. These will take place at 6 p.m. on May 13 and May 20.

The voting process for this year has also been extended beyond the original day and will now run from May 23 through May 28, giving students extra time to vote remotely.

“We’re very excited that we’re moving forward in this lane to be able to support the voting and the election of the executive officers,” Rosenberry said.

Director of Legislative Affairs Nancy Canales-Montiel said a meeting was held on April 24 and that there have only been two applicants so far.

Students who wish to apply can still do so until 4 p.m. on May 1. 

According to Canales-Montiel, the biggest issue facing the candidates is campaigning. 

“Typically you spend your money on flyers or yard signs around campus, and you get to have the one-on-one talking to students about what your ideas are, which is the most effective way of campaigning,” Canales-Montiel said. “Online formats, you don’t have that available to you. You can’t go to the SURC and ask people.”

Canales-Montiel added that candidates are going to have to rely on social media in order to reach students. 

For students who would like to apply for any of the ASCWU positions by the 4 p.m. deadline on May 1, be sure to visit the ASCWU elections page.