Sports: Retz scores game-winning penalty kick in second straight victory for women’s soccer; Wildcats now 8-2 in GNAC

BY RYAN ROGERS, Staff Reporter

Lightning struck twice for Central Washington University’s women’s soccer opponents, as sophomore midfielder Reilly Retz scored the game-winning penalty kick for the second straight game. The Wildcats won back-to-back games on the road.

Central (9-4 overall, 8-2 Great Northwest Athletic Conference) defeated Montana State-Billings (4-5-2 overall, 2-5-1 GNAC) last Thursday and Northwest Nazarene University (1-9-3 overall, 0-7-3 GNAC) on Saturday, winning both games 1-0.

The Wildcats have now won four games in a row and seven of their last eight games.  Saturday’s victory also puts Central within one game of first-place Western Washington University.

Retz’s penalty kick goal in 98th minute against Billings gave Central a 1-0 sudden death overtime victory.

Retz’s goal, which was her first of the season, came after Yellowjackets goalkeeper Krystal Daniels was given a red card.

Because of the red card, Daniels was disqualified from the game and backup goalie Megan Wade took her place.  Retz then scored the game-winner.

“We played a great overtime period,” said head coach Michael Farrand, according to wildcatsports.com. “We got even better the later in the game we went.  We created some good chances, especially to be in position for a potential game-winning situation (prior to the penalty kick).  Reilly then did a great job executing in a clutch situation for us.”

Junior Goalkeeper Kayla Lipston recorded six saves for the Wildcats in her first game since missing the last four due to an injury.

Montana State-Billings out shot Central 13-5 in the match, but the Wildcats’ defense prevented any shots from reaching the net.  Junior midfielder Danielle Brandli had three of the Wildcats’ five shots, including one shot on goal.

In the overtime period, the Wildcats put themselves in a position to win when Brandli set up junior midfielder Savanna Moorehouse with a pass in the goal box.  Moorehouse then challenged Daniels in a one-on-one situation.  A collision ensued, giving Daniels a red card and a disqualification, which set up Retz’s game-winning penalty kick.

“Our resiliency definitely showed today,” Farrand said, according to wildcatsports.com. “Montana State-Billings put together two good halves, but we were able to keep things close with them, and we found a way to win.  I am pretty excited and proud of our ability to find a way to win.”

Central again kept the ball rolling with a 1-0 shutout win over the Crusaders in which Retz again scored the lone goal in the win.

The game was an evenly played contest.  Each team had five first-half shots and both teams had an identical number of penalties over the course of the game.

Retz’s goal came in the 48th minute, who beat NNU goalkeeper Argia Phillips.  The penalty kick was set up after a handball on the previous play by a Crusader defender.

The Crusaders out shot the Wildcats 13-11 in the game, including six shots on goal to Central’s four, but Lipston recorded six saves to preserve the victory.

For the Wildcats, Retz had three shots, two on goal, including the lone goal.  Juniors Savanna Moorehouse and Hadli Farrand, as well as sophomore Cassie Ripley, each had two shots for Central.

Central will play their next two games on the road.  Thursday, the Wildcats take on Western Oregon, followed by playing Saint Martin’s University away on Saturday.