Gaudino announces step down

Mariah Valles, Managing Editor

CWU President James L. Gaudino announced that he will be stepping down from his position on July 31, 2021. 

“Serving you has been an honor. I look forward to our continued successes during the next year and a half, and, perhaps, as a faculty colleague in the years to come,” Gaudino wrote in an email to the campus community. “Even more, I look forward to many continued friendships.” 

Téa Green

Gaudino stated at a press conference on Feb. 19 that he chose to announce his step down so far in advance in order to give the Board of Trustees plenty of time to find his replacement. 

Gaudino became CWU’s President in 2009. Prior to his position, Gaudino was the executive director of the National Communication Association and was a faculty member at Michigan State University’s advertising department. 

“During his tenure, Central has experienced a record infusion of state construction funding, completed a comprehensive overhaul and updating of information systems, initiated a modernization of budget and management systems, and sought to create a safe and inclusive campus environment,” CWU’s website says.

Freshman Josue Ochoa hopes Gaudino’s successor is able to represent the university like Gaudino did for 11 years.

“I just hope that the next person that steps up is someone that can represent Central correctly,” Ochoa said. “I would hope that they don’t think they have to … fill in the shoes of someone, but create a new pathway for someone else.”