Phiakhamngon… how do you pronounce that?

Austin Lane, Sports Editor

“She’s a super sweet young lady, very intelligent and is just a fun person to be around.”

That’s what CWU Women’s Basketball head coach Randi Richardson-Thornley had to say about the athlete that is fourth on her team in total minutes played so far this season.

That athlete is sophomore guard Brianna Phiakhamngon.

Being top five in total minutes as a sophomore has its obvious perks, like being top five on the team in total points scored, or being second in total assists. 

It also results in people seeing the name Phiakhamngon and wondering… how do you pronounce that?

“I feel like what makes it special is the fact that I’m half Laos and that’s my dad’s ethnicity so whenever people say, ‘How do you pronounce that?’ it makes me grateful of where I came from and family and it just reminds me of home,” Phiakhamngnon said.

For those that are wondering, the first “h” is silent, the second “h” is silent, the “m” is silent and the “g” is silent. 

What’s not silent is Phiakhamngon’s name being announced at home games by CWU public address announcer Caleb Dunlop.

Téa Green

Usually there’s a little more emphasis when she hits a three, something she knows how to do well, according to her coach.

“She has the ability to shoot the three, which really stretches the floor, and the ability to have a really good change of speed and feet to get into the paint and make good decisions,” Richardson-Thornley said. “She’s just a really dynamic offensive player for us.”

Hitting threes isn’t Phiakhamngon’s only strength. Senior guard Taylor Shaw said Phiakhamngon can also drive into the lane and make things happen under the rim, something that may be tough for an athlete standing 5 feet, 4 inches.

“I think she’s a really strong player and she’s not scared of anything. She knows she’s gonna get to the hoop,” Shaw said. “She’s gonna make a play. She’s either gonna get fouled or make the bucket. She’s not hesitant at all.”

Shaw is in her final season at CWU, but Phiakhamngon still has the rest of this season as well as her junior and senior year coming up to play ball as a Wildcat. With so much time to improve while also already being a starter, Phiakhamngon said one of the things she wants to do once college basketball is over is be the person her teammates can reach out to, even if they aren’t on the same team anymore.

“I wanna build that type of friendship with them, where they can count on me but also on the floor too as a teammate being able to always make that extra pass,” Phiakhamngon said. “I just wanna leave the legacy of giving and being a caring person because that’s what matters the most after basketball.”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Q&A with Brianna Phiakhamngon

Q: What goes through your head when you run out of the tunnel to the court to get ready for a game to start?

A: I’m trying to get pumped and focus on what I need to do to get this win. I also try to keep my composure warming up and take warm-ups serious because that’s how I’m going to translate into the game so I just focus on my mindset.

Q: Who’s your favorite team to play at home?

A: Western. They’re our rivals so it’s super big and it’s fun to see the community come here and cheer us on. Being able to see everyone come here is nice.