Scene: Wayne Brady’s stand-up improv act wows students Friday night in the SURC

BY ADAM WILSON, Assistant Scene Editor

Wayne Brady wowed the crowd Friday night with several skits that included a story about a psychologist smoking a caterpillar, a scientist who steals a ground-breaking experiment, and an on-the-spot Dungeons and Dragons adventure not even the performers expected to do.

“I’ve played [Dungeons and Dragons] before, I started in college” said Central graduate Brandon McClendon. “I never thought I’d play D&D with Wayne Brady.”

McClendon was one of four human props during Brady’s scientist skit, where audience members became inanimate objects to satisfy the needs of the scene.

Later on, during the Question and Answer section of the show, Brady revealed he used to play the tabletop role playing game in high school.  McClendon immediately asked Brady if he would ever play with him.

In response, Brady suggested they act out a movie-themed adventure on stage, which drew an overwhelmingly positive reaction from the crowd.

Brady also performed a skit where he acted out everything an audience member said during an interview.  Brady’s co-performer Jonathan Magnum chose Wellness Center’s Andrea Easlick to talk about her profession on stage, which led to Brady depicting several sex and drug-related actions.

Other skits included Brady singing songs he wrote based on song titles chosen by the audience and a love story based on a married couple in the audience.

Carli-Seaman-wb01

Carli-Seaman-wb03