The Purr-fect Companion

Amy Morris, Staff Reporter

College can get lonely and stressful at times, but having a companion by your side helps. I personally recommend getting a cat over a dog for various reasons. Cats are not only easier to take care of, but they are also not very noisy or high energy pets.

Cats are very low maintenance and take up very little space. In college, it can be hard taking care of a pet when you have classes to go to and other activities you are involved in. Dogs need to be walked very often and are usually high energy. Cats on the other hand, are independent animals. If you are gone for most of the day, they will miss you without making loud noises for you to come back, aside from some meowing. Dogs on the other hand will bark loudly when they want attention, which is not ideal for college students. Dogs need constant care or else they will become destructive and anxious, according to an article by Pet Coach.

I recently just had a friend who adopted a puppy. While the idea of having a puppy was great the actuality of the situation was constant barking, furniture being torn apart and many walks. He eventually had to get rid of the puppy because it was becoming too big of a problem with his living situation.

If you are like most college students (outside of freshmen), you probably live in a small apartment or house. With limited space, having a big dog will be hard to manage. Cats are the perfect size and will take up minimal space. Cats also can be left alone for long periods of time because they use a litter box. With a cat you won’t have to worry about having to take it outside all the time when you are busy.

The last thing you want to do after a long day is go for a walk, especially during the extremely cold fall and winter. Dogs are also hard animals to turn into indoor pets. Even if your dog enjoys being inside, chances are they will still want to go outside frequently.

Cats are less expensive than dogs. An article by The Spruce Pets outlines basic cat expenses which includes food, litter, spay or neutering, vaccinations, an annual veterinary examination and emergency veterinary care when needed. Fees for adopting a cat are lower than fees for dogs. Cat toys are also cheaper, and they eat less than dogs which saves money over time.

Another positive of having a cat is that they groom themselves. Dogs are prone to getting dirty when they play outside, and then they bring all that dirt in with them. Grooming a dog can be very time consuming and expensive.

While the above points are all good reasons to get a cat, the main reason I got one was for emotional support. Cats can help reduce anxiety and stress, according to an article by Health Fitness Revolution. College can lead to many mental breakdowns, but cats can provide therapeutic benefits.

Studies have shown that cat owners are less likely to have a stroke than other pet owners. Cat owners also have lower blood pressure. A study done by the University of Minnesota’s Stroke Institute in Minneapolis, found out that people who don’t own cats are 30-40% more likely to have a heart attack then cat owners, according to Health Fitness Revolution. These are only a few of the many benefits cats can have to a person’s health.

Cats overall are just superior to dogs. If you are thinking about getting a pet, do your research. While the idea of getting a pet may sound nice, do not get one if you can’t take care of it. Pets require a lot of love and attention so before you get that pet, make sure you are giving it the best home possible.