Sports: Davis intercepts Lumberjacks three times, offense clicks in Wildcats’ 21-14 victory over Humboldt State

Photo Courtesy of CWU Athletics

BY CAMERON DANIELS, Staff Reporter

Central Washington University came out on top against Humboldt State University on Saturday night, winning 21-13 in Arcata, Calif.

Sophomore defensive back Isaiah Davis led a stout Wildcats’ defense which gave up only 259 yards of offense, almost 70-yards less then Humboldt’s season average. Davis had three interceptions and finished with seven total tackles.

Credit was given to the defensive coaching staff and the chemistry of the defensive unit.

“They have very good leadership,” Wildcats’ head coach John Picha said.

With their second straight win, the Wildcats improve to 3-2 overall and 3-1 in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference, good for a first-place tie in the conference. Humboldt State dropped to 0-5 and 0-4 in the GNAC.

Davis, who was last week’s GNAC Special Teams Player of the Week, showed off his defensive skills this week with three interceptions and seven tackles, he also added 87-yards returning kicks. Humboldt State started the scoring in the first quarter with a 25-yard touchdown pass from Lumberjack quarterback Kyle Morris to Chase Krivashei.

The Wildcats came back with 14 points in the second quarter. Freshman quarterback Jake Nelson threw a season-long 59 yard touchdown pass to freshman Jesse Zalk and sophomore safety Cole Graves scooped up a fumble and returned it 40 yards for the score.

Nelson finished the day with 129 yards passing and a touchdown.

Central led the first-half 14-10 after a field goal by the Lumberjacks as time expired.

Jordan Todd, Central Washington’s standout sophomore running back, ran for a 40-yard touchdown run in the third quarter. He tallied 30 carries for 141 yards and the touchdown and it was his fourth game with over 100 yards rushing.

“I give the line the most credit,” Todd said.

He also acknowledged the great job the wide receivers do blocking downfield. The fourth quarter of the game was deadlocked at zero as Humboldt State tried to battle back.  Along with Davis’ big day, senior linebacker Ridge Neilson led the defense with nine tackles and a forced fumble.

Humboldt State outgained Central Washington 259-250 in total yards.  The Lumberjack’s dual quarterback approach combined for 199 yards passing with one touchdown and Davis’s three interceptions.

Next week is homecoming for Central Washington when they play Dixie State at 1 p.m. at Tomlinson Stadium.