Former provost accepts new role at CWU

Mariah Valles, Editor-in-Chief

Today President James L. Gaudino sent an updated email regarding Katherine Frank, the now former provost.

“To clarify my communication sent to the university community on June 10, 2019, Dr. Frank has agreed to move into the position of Vice President for Academic Innovation,” Gaudino wrote.

According to the email, this position will include Frank helping the university prepare for the future and remain competitive. Frank will conduct research regarding academic innovation, aligned with future institutional growth plans and respond to the rapid changes within higher education.

“Academic innovation refers to the comprehensive learning experience that defines student success at CWU and encompasses learning both inside and outside of the classroom and across major institutional divisions,” Gaudino wrote.

On June 10 Gaudino sent an email, less than 100 words, to employees stating Frank would no longer be the provost, that it would go into effect immediately and Gaudino himself would be the Interim Provost.

Neither emails explain why Frank is no longer the provost. On June 11 a spokesperson at CWU said they would not discuss personnel issues regarding Frank no longer being the provost.

“I would like to thank Dr. Katherine Frank for her excellent work as Provost and Vice President of Academic and Student Life and for her dedication to the success of Central Washington University for the past three years,” Gaudino wrote on June 13.

He went on to talk about Frank’s accomplishments during her tenure as provost. Some of these accomplishments include opening a new instructional site in Sammamish, producing a comprehensive report examining the strategic process by which the university might pursue Hispanic-Serving Institution status and several others.

Gaudino thanked Frank again for her willingness to step into the role of Vice President for Academic Innovation, a role he said will help CWU plan for the future.

“Dr. Frank is uniquely qualified for this role and passionate about how institutions like CWU continue to provide access for students, serve our regions, and influence the direction of public higher education,” Gaudino wrote.