Women’s rugby to hold prospect camp

On June 1 CWU will host the women’s rugby prospect camp, allowing high school players to test their skills at the collegiate level.

Bryce Weedman, Senior Sports Reporter

CWU Women’s Rugby will host an elite prospect camp on June 1. The camp will play host to highschool prospects from all over Washington, Idaho, Oregon and California, said head women’s rugby coach Trevor Richards.

Richards said he attempted to put on the camp in his first year as coach, but timing was an issue in late August. Richards said moving the camp to June is a better time for high school prospects. Richards said the camp will not only feature the prospects, but members of the current team as well. Richards wants to see how the prospects fit in with the current players. This is a strategy used for finding the best players for the Wildcats.

“Our program is very straight forward with how we do things, and this is one of our strategies,” Richards said. “We want to know if the players of the future will fit in with the players we have now, and the way we do things.”

The Wildcat Sports website says that the camp is committed to providing skill instruction and player development in all basic aspects of rugby.

CWU had an off season last year, according to Richards. There was a lot to build on. CWU was 4-8 overall, according to Wildcat Sports. Although the season didn’t end up like Richards would have liked, the Wildcats took home first place in the USA College Rugby 7s. The tournament was played last week. According to Wildcat Sports, the Wildcats won their first game against Penn State University 24-10 and then the championship game against Davenport University.

“The rematch against Davenport was welcomed after our lackadaisical performance on Saturday,” Richards said. “We came out of the gates with ferocity and focus. The hits were flying in, the ball moved with ease and our work at the breakdown made life difficult for our opponents. It was probably our most complete games of the weekend and it was a terrific way to send off our seniors.”

According to Wildcat Sports, this tournament completely wrapped up the Wildcat’s season. Richards said he is excited to get the camp going and looks forward to seeing what young talent the camp has to offer, and that it will be a good way to keep his current players ready for next season. The camp will be played on Tomlinson Stadium’s field and will also host potential future Wildcats.

“It should be a lot of fun and a great experience for all of the girls that are out there,” Richards said.